Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C120 Classic upgrade to C120 3rd generation
11-20-17, 09:21 AM
C120 Classic upgrade to C120 3rd generation
Hi have a C120 classic vintage 2004 which connects to a Raymarine dome radar, autohelm auto pilot and tridata instruments all vintage 2004. I was thinking of replacing the C120 with the newer C120 3rd generation to get a brighter display as well as some new features included with the 3rd generation.

My questions

would the new MFD be compatible with my existing connections as radar and autopilot ? Simply plug all existing cables into the new MFD.

Also could I interface the new MFD with a Quantum radom as a backup to my older radom either via a wire or wifi/blutooth?

The existing MFD is mounted is surface mounted would the new MFD fit into the existing cutout?

Thanks

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-17, 10:48 AM
RE: C120 Classic upgrade to C120 3rd generation
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum E.hatch2086,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject, as I believe it addresses just about every aspect of replacing a C-Series Classic MFD with a c-Series MFD.

Q1. would the new MFD be compatible with my existing connections as radar and autopilot ? Simply plug all existing cables into the new MFD.
A1. Radar - no; autopilot - answer dependent upon model of autopilot course computer installed onboard. Options would include adaptation or interfacing it to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface. This is covered within the FAQ referenced above.

Q2. Also could I interface the new MFD with a Quantum radom as a backup to my older radom either via a wire or wifi/blutooth?
A2. See the response to Q1. The c-Series MFDs are compatible with Quantum radomes.

Q3. The existing MFD is mounted is surface mounted would the new MFD fit into the existing cutout?
A3. No. This is covered within the FAQ referenced above.
11-22-17, 01:28 PM
Thanks Chuck sort of what I expected -never easy
Happy Thankgiving
11-27-17, 05:23 PM
You're welcome.