Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronics Upgrade
11-30-17, 02:01 PM
Electronics Upgrade
Hi Support Team,
I am in the process of evaluating my upgrade options on my 44 Sea Ray. Below you will find a complete list of existing electronics on the boat. I would like to consolidate, or utilize any existing hardware/cabling if possible. (ie autopilot motor, transducers...)

I am looking at upgrading to the proposed Axiom MFD. What additional features or limitations am I going to receive using the proposed new equipment below? Is there a better course of action? No pun intended.

Thank you for your help.

New:
Ray260
Axiom 12" and Axiom 7"
Quantum radar, 24" Dome Radar or 4kw HD open radar (leaning towards Quantum)
New Autopilot ACU-200 w/P70

Old:
Ray240
RL80C chartplotter with 4KW open radar.
RN300 GPS
ST7001+ with X30 and Type 1 motor
ST60 Tri-data instrument - with (2) tranducers. (depth, speed/temp)
Ray240
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-17, 11:35 AM
RE: Electronics Upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum HeyGirl03,

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will need to be installed onboard having sufficient spur sockets to permit the Ray260, Data Master Axiom MFD, and each of the Evolution autopilot components (EV-1 CCU, ACU-200, and p70S or p70RS Autopilot Control Head) to each be installed as an individual spur. As the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket of the Axiom MFDs features a DeviceNet (M) socket, an A06075 1m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable or A06045 0.4m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable may be used to interface the Data Master MFD to one of the backbone's spur sockets.

The instrument transducers must remain interfaced to an instrument. Should you be seeking to have a common appearance for the marine electronics, then it would be recommended that the ST60 Tridata be replaced with an i50 Tridata Instrument which in turn would then also be interfaced to a spur socket within the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Should you opt to retain the ST60 Tridata, then a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would need to be installed within the aforementioned SeaTalkng backbone to permit the ST60 Tridata to be interfaced to the system.

Finally, should one of the MFDs not be installed installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would be recommended that a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor be installed where it would be afforded such a view and that it also be interfaced as a spur to the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

The two MFDs would be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Alternatively and if not adverse to pulling a cable to the radome, it would be recommended that the version of the Quantum 24C be purchased along with a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. In the case of the latter, the Quantum Radome and each MFD would be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch rather than having the MFDs be interfaced directly to one another.

The currently installed radar cable will be replaced with the Quantum radome's power cable and Quantum Data Cable should the Quantum 24C be purchased.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply