Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray70 VHF Connection to Axiom 9 via HS5
12-01-17, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-17 04:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Ray70 VHF Connection to Axiom 9 via HS5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum BForsyth,

Q1. I would like to connect the Ray70 VHF to my established network so that the AIS will show up on the screens. From what I understand it should connect using the included sea talk cable however I'm not sure how to connect the sea talk cable to the HS-5.
A1. The HS-5 RayNet Network Switch is designed to support interfacing compatible devices having high data communications bandwidth requirements which additionally have an Ethernet communications interface (e.g. the MFDs and Quantum 24C). Devices needing lower communications bandwidth requirements (ex. GPS sensors instruments, VHF radios, AIS receivers/transceivers, etc.) will typically utilize SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. As both the Ray70 and the MFDs have a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, this communications protocol will be used to establish communications between these products. In short, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed having sufficient SeaTalkng spur sockets for each device which will need to be interfaced to it ... in this case the backbone will need to contain two additional spur sockets ... one for the Ray70 and the second for the MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to construct a simple backbone. As the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket of the Axiom MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable features a DeviceNet (M) socket, an A06075 1m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable or A06045 0.4m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable may be used to interface the Data Master MFD's SeaTalkng / NMEA to one of the backbone's spur sockets.

Other than the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone interfacing topic raised above, the rest of your suggestions appear sound.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ray70 VHF Connection to Axiom 9 via HS5 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-01-17 04:15 PM