Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Upgrade Autopilot
12-03-17, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-17 02:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Upgrade Autopilot
The Raymarine package I have on my Mainship Pilot 43 consists of dual E80 displays, with a ST8001 Autopilot. I’m looking to upgrade my system to the Axiom 9 or 12 MFD, with a either an EV-200 or EV-400 autopilot.

Q1: Which autopilot system should I use?

Q2: Can I use the installed drive unit?

Thanks, Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-17, 02:59 PM
RE: [CA] Upgrade Autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1: Which autopilot system should I use?
A1. Specification of an autopilot for a vessel having hydraulic steering is dependent upon answers to the following:
- how many steering rams are installed onboard?
- if more than one steering ram has been installed onboard, are the steering rams installed in parallel to one another or in series to one another?
- what is the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram(s)?
- is the marine electronics system powered from 12V or from a 24V power distribution system?

Q2: Can I use the installed drive unit?
A2. Quite possibly. However, the answer will be dependent upon the responses provided to my response to Q1.
12-07-17, 03:47 PM
Thanks Chuck.

I found the hydraulic drive in the boat, which is made by Sea Star, model BA175-7TM, HC5319. The volume is 13.7 in (226.4 cc).

The marine electronics on board are all 12 V.

Thanks,
David
12-08-17, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-17 09:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

Should the vessel only have one steering ram and should cubic capacity be 13.7 cu. in. as you have indicated, then you should find that a Type 1 Hydraulic Autopilot Pump has been installed onboard. If so, then this pump, as well as the 12V power distribution system, Raymarine's recently introduced T70407 EV-150 Power Pilot would be recommended to address the needs of those who will be upgrading to an Evolution autopilot from a legacy Raymarine autopilot which utilized a 12V Type 1 Hydraulic Pump.

The rudder reference transducer designed for use with the SmartPilots is also compatible with the Evolution Autopilots
12-08-17, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-17 09:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck.

I did go into the boat underneath the helm and found the Type 1 hydraulic pump. So it looks like we’re good to go.

Thanks again!
Dave
12-11-17, 08:56 AM
You're welcome.