Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third party instrument transducer connection question
03-25-16, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 11:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Third party instrument transducer connection question
Hello,

I'm almost starting from scratch on a basic electronics installation. The only even remotely up-to-date electronics installed on my boat when I purchased it were a Raymarine RD424D radome and an Airmar DT800 depth/temp sounder. Whatever MFDs that were previously installed were removed before my purchase. I recently bought an es97 MFD, and I'm planning the installation. I have the radar connection figured out.

My question comes from the DT800 connection. The sounder cable currently terminates at a standard NMEA 2000 "T" (see picture), which of course is no longer connected to anything. There is no backbone installed in the boat. Can I connect the DT800 directly the the MFD with the use of an adapter cable (part number E66066)? If it helps, the part number for the Airmar unit is 44-135-2-02.

A follow up question: I may look to install a NMEA 2000 backbone in the future. In that case, I assume my Airmar unit would connect directly to the backbone and then to the standard SeatalkNG connection on the es97? If so, I could save the cost of the E66066 adapter cable by dropping the NMEA 2000 connection now?

Thanks very much. I certainly appreciate your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-16, 02:49 PM
RE: Third party instrument transducer connection question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mooseflyer,

Q1. My question comes from the DT800 connection. The sounder cable currently terminates at a standard NMEA 2000 "T" (see picture), which of course is no longer connected to anything. There is no backbone installed in the boat. Can I connect the DT800 directly the the MFD with the use of an adapter cable (part number E66066)? If it helps, the part number for the Airmar unit is 44-135-2-02.

A1. It is not possible to do as you have suggested. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The specified transducer may be interfaced as spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD has also been interfaced as spur. Doing so would simply permit the MFD to repeat the numerical depth and temperature values transmitted by your NMEA 2000 Smart Transducer. No alarms or offsets may be applied by the MFD in conjunction with third party instrument transducers.

Q2. A follow up question: I may look to install a NMEA 2000 backbone in the future. In that case, I assume my Airmar unit would connect directly to the backbone and then to the standard SeatalkNG connection on the es97? If so, I could save the cost of the E66066 adapter cable by dropping the NMEA 2000 connection now?

A2. The E66066 Transducer Adapter Cable is designed to support adaption of fishfinder transducers designed for use with the CP370, CP300, DSM300, DSM30, and DSM250 to be mated to the fishfinder Transducer socket of an ax7/cx7/e7d/ex7/eSx7 MFD. As indicated within the referenced FAQ and additional response to Q1, this transducer can neither be mated directly to the MFD nor support its fishfinder features. It you examine the plug on the transducer's cable, you will likely find that it feature a DeviceNet Micro-C plug. This may be adapted to fit the spur socket of a spur within a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone by using one of the following adapters:
- SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Male (A06046)
- SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Female (A06045)
04-05-16, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-16 04:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks very much for the timely and helpful reply Chuck. Perhaps I'll be content to get depth/temp this season, and look into installing one of your listed transducers at next haul so that I'll be able to take advantage of the fishfinder features of the es97.
04-06-16, 04:20 PM
You're welcome.