Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) MKII Wheel Drive Slips Engaged/Sticks Disengaged
12-16-17, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-17 10:39 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(DG) MKII Wheel Drive Slips Engaged/Sticks Disengaged
I've had the MKII drive unit for over 10 years, during which time it has been very dependable, except in rough conditions when it slips. I've adjusted the clutch in the past to minimize this. Recently it started slipping a lot, but after trying to tighten the clutch it now sticks while disengaged and still slips while engaged. By the way, when it slips it makes a pretty awful grinding/screeching sound.

I see that I can still buy replacement belt and clutch kit. Will that do the trick? Or do I need to replace the whole drive unit?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-17, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-17 11:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: (DG) MKII Wheel Drive Slips Engaged/Sticks Disengaged
Hi Bodhisattva,
Thank you for your enquiry,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
01-17-18, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, Derek. I followed your instructions in the other thread on taking the drive unit apart to clean it. It was actually pretty clean but I cleaned it anyway. I put it back together and went out for a sail adjusting the clutch on the fly. Same story: if I adjust it so it doesn't stick at all when disengaged, it slips much too easily when engaged. As I adjust the clutch tighter it begins sticking when disengaged, and still slips when engaged.

Per your instructions in that thread I should at this point return the unit to Raymarine's Product Repair Center. However, I see on the website under "Out of Warranty Repair" that "no products more than 10 years old will be accepted for repair at the factory repair workshop." I've owned this autopilot well over 10 years.

So, should I buy a new belt and clutch kit? The whole drive unit? Do I have any other options? This thing used to work great...
01-18-18, 06:35 AM
Hi Bodhisattva,
Sorry to hear there are still issues, the mkII wheel drive is still a current product and so we can still service it.

one last thing you might try is to use some fine emery or wet and dry paper and SLIGHTLY roughen the smooth surface the belt runs against, it is one of those odd things that a very smooth surface will grip better than a rougher one.

Don't do too much, just create a slight texture and see if this improves it.

If not then return to the service depot.
Regards
Derek