Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] e125 Display Issues
12-22-17, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] e125 Display Issues
My e125 has been operating flawlessly since installed about 20 months ago. Upon using it today, the screen had a series of blue vertical lines, went to a white screen, black screen, etc with no visible patterns. Most the time it was showing the vertical lines or nothing at all. After leaving the e125 on for approximately 1 hour, it went back to the normal screen and operated normally with no other flickers or screen issues.

While the screen was not working, other functions such as GPS seemed to function fine as the data was still being transmitted to other SeaTalk devices.

I have attached a few photos I took while it was not working.

This is a remanufactured e125 I bought from a Raymarine dealer just under 2 years ago. My understanding is that it has a 2-year warranty and I would assume with this behaviour I would need to send the unit back to you for repair. Is that the right next step?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-17, 09:15 AM
RE: e125 Display Issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lwitty,

It is recommended that the vessel be connected to shore power, that its batteries be permitted to reach a fully charged state. Afterwards and while still connected to shore power, it would then be recommended that you attempt to duplicate the problem. Should the problem be duplicated, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
01-21-18, 07:12 PM
RE: e125 Display Issues
Thanks Chuck.

While the e125 continued to work normally for a few weeks, the display issues/symptoms returned while connected to shore power at my dock. I left the unit on for approx 1 hour and the display issues cleared up and it was operating normally.

I sent the unit back for warranty repair and expect it to arrive at the repair center tomorrow. Notification number is 30339369. I have sent a video with the unit on a USB stick (too large to post here) showing the display issues if needed.

This is the same e125 that I have an unresolved issue with heading versus COG as described in this post (http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=3307 ) in case there is any link (please note that I had this heading vrs COG issue with the old auto pilot which was an S3 with flux gate then replaced with a new autopilot with EV1 and had the same issue - thus I'm wondering if it could be the e125 somehow impacting the seatalk messages).

Thanks
01-22-18, 11:16 AM
RE: [CA] e125 Display Issues
lwitty,

Q1. This is the same e125 that I have an unresolved issue with heading versus COG as described in this post (http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=3307 ) in case there is any link (please note that I had this heading vrs COG issue with the old auto pilot which was an S3 with flux gate then replaced with a new autopilot with EV1 and had the same issue - thus I'm wondering if it could be the e125 somehow impacting the seatalk messages).

A1. Depending upon the nature of the fault, anything is possible. With respect to COG vs Heading discrepancies, these values will not typically be the same unless the vessel is making good way on a steady heading and is not being subjected to leeway forces (i.e. wind or current). These values will otherwise be closer in value at planing speeds, where the wind and current vectors will be smaller in value relative to the vessel's velocity vector. Otherwise gross heading vs COG errors are typically associated with a GPS receiver which is ill positioned to gather sufficient GPS signal, a GPS receiver which is failing, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which is operating with early software, a heading sensor which has not been properly aligned, or an improper installation which is resulting in a data loop.

I would recommend waiting for the repaired MFD to be returned before pursuing any further changes to affect this behavior.
02-03-18, 03:40 PM
Hello -

My e125 was returned after warranty work was performed to fix the screen issue. Upon re-installation, all seems fine with the exception of the card readers. My Navionics chip is not being recognized and I tried the following with no success:
1) Tried card in both slots - failed to recognize the card (rebooting unit with card in each slot)
2) Restored all e125 settings to factory settings, still would not recognize card
3) Used a second card which had a backup of all my settings (taken before I sent the unit in for the warranty repair) to try and restore settings. Again, this card was not recognized either (would not allow me to select SD1 or SD2 when option popped up on the bottom of the screen)
4) When e125 chart is displayed, went to menu and changed charts from Navionics to other 2 options then back to Navionics, still did not recognize card.

My understanding is that the Navionics charts should be recognized upon booting up the e125 without any other actions or settings. Am I missing something or will the unit need to be sent back to Raymarine for fixing?

Thanks
02-05-18, 10:16 AM
Larry,

Q1. My understanding is that the Navionics charts should be recognized upon booting up the e125 without any other actions or settings. Am I missing something or will the unit need to be sent back to Raymarine for fixing?
A1. Should the MFD be operating with v19.03 software, then it should indeed recognized the card within the MFD's memory card reader. Additionally, when the Chart application's Chart Selection option is chosen, the Chart Selection menu should not only list a Navionics Nautical Charts option, but should list details about the chart card and identify when its Freshest Data subscription expires.

I'm a bit concerned that there may be a fault with the MFD's memory card reader. The operational state of each of the card reader's slots may be verified by inserting the a microSD memory card (ex. your chart card) into the MFD's upper reader slot and then executing the command sequence HOME->MY DATA->MY FILES. The My Files dialog should then list SD CARD 1 and Internal options. If SD CARD 1 is not listed among the options within this dialog, then there may be a fault with the MFD's upper memory card reader slot or with the microSD memory card (try another microSD memory card). Similarly, when the microSD memory card is located within the reader's lower slot, the My Files dialog should then list SD CARD 2 and Internal options.

Should the test within the paragraph above indicate a fault with the MFD's memory card center, then it would be recommended that the Repair Center be contacted to return the MFD to have the problem addressed.