Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom to Furuno 511 Navpilot
12-22-17, 01:09 PM
Axiom to Furuno 511 Navpilot
I just upgraded from an old Raymarine RC435 chartplotter to an Axiom 9" MFD and Quantum radar. The old chart recorder would broadcast GPS position data via the NMEA 0183 to the Furuno 511 Navpilot autopilot system. With the new unit in place, I have put in a NMEA 2K backbone and installed a AMEC NK-80 NMEA 2K to 0183 bridge. My Axiom is now getting at least the ships bearing data from the autopilot, but it does not get ship position data from the Axiom and I can not figure out how to send wavepoint data to the autopilot. According to the furuno it has received an APB (autopilot format B) and HDG (Heading - Deviation & Variation) sentence from the 2K to 0183 bridge. But, I don't get GLC (geo postion), GLL (Geographic position), GNS, or any other location data broadcasts from the Axiom.

My questions are:

Does the Axiom behave like older chartplotters and do a broadcast of that data on the NMEA 2K side? If so what packet is it sending?

Why is the autopilot enable disabled on the Axiom configuration settings? I assume that is why I can't broadcast out the wavepoint data to the Furuno any longer? Does the Axiom only enable this if a device identifies itself as an autopilot? What is needed to enable this option and to start broadcasting data to the Furuno?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-17, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-17 01:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom to Furuno 511 Navpilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum elmoray,

Q1. Does the Axiom behave like older chartplotters and do a broadcast of that data on the NMEA 2K side? If so what packet is it sending?
A1. Indeed the Axiom MFDs do transmit GPS data to the system's NMEA 2000 backbone. No configuration settings need be or can be configured within the MFD to support this end. The full list of NMEA 2000 PGNs transmitted / supported by the MFD may be found within Appendix B NMEA 2000 PGN support of the LightHouse 3.2 Advanced Operation Instructions. Should GPS data not be received by the NMEA 0183 device, then the following would be advised:
1) Verify that the MFDs' GPS Satellites dialog is reported that the MFD has acquired a GPS FIX
2) After satisfying condition one, interface a NMEA 2000 bus analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 w/PC running Actisense NMEA Reader software, etc.) as a spur to the NMEA 2000 backbone and verify the transmission of the supported GNSS PGNs.
3) Should 2) be verified, then it would be recommended that the NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device manufacturer and/or autopilot manufacturer be contacted for further support.

Q2. Why is the autopilot enable disabled on the Axiom configuration settings? I assume that is why I can't broadcast out the wavepoint data to the Furuno any longer?
A2. Negative. The MFD's Autopilot Controls feature documented with the MFD's Advanced Operation Instructions is only supported in conjunction with Raymarine Evolution autopilots. However, this simply means that your MFD will perform the same function as did the RC435 supplying GPS and Navigational data to a properly interfaced data bridge and NMEA 0183 autopilot. The operator need simply command navigation (i.e. Go To Waypoint / Cursor Position or Follow Route) from within the MFD's Chart application and then command the autopilot into Track mode via the autopilot's control head.

Q3. Does the Axiom only enable this if a device identifies itself as an autopilot?
A3. See the response to Q2.

Q4. What is needed to enable this option and to start broadcasting data to the Furuno?
A4. See the response to Q1 & Q2.

Should you require onboard assistance in performing the actions specified above, then it would be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer in your area be contacted.
12-22-17, 06:19 PM
Thanks Chuck. Great info.
12-27-17, 10:23 AM
You're welcome.