Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Replaced DSM300 with CP370 to restore numeric depth reading
01-07-18, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-18 09:11 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG] Replaced DSM300 with CP370 to restore numeric depth reading
After installing the CP370 - I was finally able to have numeric depth (fishfinder always worked on the DSM300). So I updated the software to 13.34 and can't beleive I'm back to no numeric display and the fishfinder appears to have a lot of blips (no longer displays the flat bottom. I have rebooted and have Reset the CP370 with no change. I've no real need for the fishfinder I would just like a reliable depth finder. System has P79 transducer and E80 MFDs and a SeaTalk HS switch.

I've been fighting this issue since purchasing this boat in 2013 and would like to get it fixed so that one day I can sell the boat with a working depth finder integrated to the Raymarine Nav equipment.

Any suggestions???
Thanks,
Rip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-18, 09:21 PM
RE: [TG] Replaced DSM300 with CP370 to restore numeric depth reading
Good day Rip,

Can you post some screenshots or clear, high-res, full-screen photos of the CP370's sounder image on both 50kHz and 200kHz, both in all-Auto and in the following Gain setup:

Gain = 60
Colour Gain = 15
TVG = 0
Range = manual, set to 1.5x to 2x the real current water depth

This will give us valuable information about the reason for the poor performance. The manual gain setup is in order to provide a benchmark comparison against other sounders, so the specific values are important.

One comment at this stage though: very often the cause of this sort of thing occurs because of problems with in-hull transducer installations. Wet-boxes can leak or fluid evaporate, not all hull materials are suitable (I understand it worked with the DSM, but perhaps it 'only just' worked, and the CP370 has a different TVG curve which means that it may receive a different signal level in a particular shallow water depth than the DSM did, and perhaps its different software is rejecting the weak, shallow bottom return.) I'm not saying by the way that the CP370 is inferior, quite the opposite is true, which is why I'm focussing on an external cause for the poor performance rather than the CP itself.

Regards,
Tom

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Assessing_Sounder_performance-201708TG.pdf (Size: 973.06 KB / Downloads: 903)

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
01-16-18, 04:04 PM
Thanks Tom,

Getting intermittent numeric now and better when set manual as you suggested. Lousy internet here and photos are too big. The more I read the more probable that the P79 is the cause - similar issues across a number of other manufacturers. Apparently Airmar is not owning up to it being on their side - so everyone looks bad to us (the end users). I may just leave the manual settings - I'm really only concerned about having numeric depth display when the water gets skinny. All the bottom painting and fishfinding is immaterial to me.

I'm going to read the PDF you attached and will follow up if I have more thoughts or questions.
Thanks again,
Rip
01-16-18, 06:24 PM
No problem Rip, let us know how you go.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
01-17-18, 10:34 AM
Tom,

Now that I read the PDF and know how to do/send screensshots, I may try that later (prop is off being tuned so not going anywhere). Been messing with power and gain in my shallow water slip and having some success (still get - - - on/off). The slip is good test ground because it runs 4-6' depending on tide (which is the typical range at which we lose numeric depth on the instrument and MFD), so will mess with it while I'm sitting here (nothing better to do).

Thanks,
Rip
01-18-18, 10:58 PM
Ok. I'll be out the next couple of weeks but one of my colleagues here in Sydney can take a look if you can get some images, just post them here.

TG

Raymarine since 1999.