Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transducer removal mechanics
03-28-16, 12:25 PM
Transducer removal mechanics
Greetings,

I have a speed transducer feeding my E120 on my new-to-me boat. I've tried a variety of approaches at removing the speed transducer to clean it while its on the hard but I abort whatever tack I try out of concern for exceeding the forces that the plastic can take. There's no documentation on the boat telling me what this is and I am hoping someone out there is sufficiently familiar the item in the attach photos where then can give me the secret handshake.

Especially the first of the three photos reinforces the impression that there is one "plastic thing" inside a second "plastic thing" leading to the possibility that perhaps there are two items that need to be removed. You see small motion of one relative to the other when attempting to grip/remove them. Thanks for any help you can provide.

http://s628.photobucket.com/user/MVCW-Pu...sort=3&o=2

http://s628.photobucket.com/user/MVCW-Pu...sort=3&o=1

http://s628.photobucket.com/user/MVCW-Pu...sort=3&o=2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-16, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-16 03:36 PM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Transducer removal mechanics
Those pictures don't look like it is removable, there would be some type of plastic locking nut at the top if the insert was removable. What is the transducer connected to? It can't connect directly to the E120 Classic MFD.
03-29-16, 05:11 PM
(03-29-16 03:34 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Those pictures don't look like it is removable, there would be some type of plastic locking nut at the top if the insert was removable. What is the transducer connected to? It can't connect directly to the E120 Classic MFD.

My apologies... the locking nut is off in those pictures. You can see the threads that it lived on. There's also what I presume is a "plug/water-stop" near this that goes in to the thru hull when you remove the sensor. I never got a wiring scheme for the electronics so I can't look up what goes where. I'm going to have to trace out the system and determine that for myself. If I had to guess at this point, I'd say a DSM 300. I *think* that can take speed in and get it to the MFD.

Mike
03-29-16, 09:00 PM
Hmmm... I thought I created a reply to this already. I've messed something else up obviously. In any case... the plastic lock ring does exist and has been removed in those photos. You can see the threads where the ring lives... shinier. I did not get a wiring diagram for the electronics on this boat so I'm in the process of understanding that. I am guessing that the transducer wire ultimately works its way to the DSM300 but I'm not sure on that. Sorry I don't have more. I'm working toward understanding what I have!

Mike
03-29-16, 11:50 PM
(03-29-16 03:34 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Those pictures don't look like it is removable, there would be some type of plastic locking nut at the top if the insert was removable. What is the transducer connected to? It can't connect directly to the E120 Classic MFD.

For some reason, these replies don't seem to be applied by the site to the thread. So, doing it again...

Yes Steve... there is a plastic locking ring that lives on top of that thread but it has been removed already. You can see the threads it usually covers. As to where that cord goes... I'm not entirely sure as I did not get an electronics wiring diagram with the boat and I'm still figuring much of that out myself. If I had to guess though, I'd say it probably connects to the DSM300. Hope this extra info helps... thanks...
03-30-16, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-16 02:32 PM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK, I am noticing where the locking ring was taken off, sorry I missed that. That transducer does look like a B744V Airmar transducer. I have enclosed the installation instructions below, the insert should remove using the [censored] eyelet with the pull ring. If not installed a key ring through the eyelet can be used to help pull it through.