Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C Series MFD Wont Show All Chart Soundings
01-15-18, 02:47 PM
C Series MFD Wont Show All Chart Soundings
I'm using a network of C97 and C95 MFD's, coupled with digital radar, sonar and various Raymarine instruments and autopilots. The C97 is configured as the data master, and contains the Navionics chart card (MSD/NAV-NI, USA & Canada). For some time I've wondered why the chart display on the two screens was different, with the C95 in the cockpuit offering much more detailed soundings than the C97 at the nav station.

Coming into this anchorage in the Bahamas those additional soundings were vital, so after we anchored I painstaking stepped through all the setup options on both screens, to look for the mismatch. Figuring it was in the chart plotter setup somewhere. There were some minor differences in the setup, but nothing obvious that would cause one screen to show all the depth soundings, and the other to show very few. After setting up both screens identically, we re-booted the system and suddenly found that both screens were identical, but not the way we wanted - now, neither screen shows all the detail soundings!

The C95 used to show all the soundings, identically to the iPad we also carry, with Navionics cartography. They were identical - hence I have included here a screen grab from the iPad to show what the C95 used to display. Also attached is an image that shows what both the C95 and C97 look like now when zoomed in close.

In the chart setup options, chart display is set as extra detailed.
Under objects, Chart Detail is set at High, and most features are set to ON.
Under Depths & Contours, Show Soundings is set to ALL, with Deep water set at 10meters.
Under Advanced Options, shallow water is set at 1.0m.

Both plotters have current version software installed, V19.03-00036

I've spent hours on this and cannot get either screen to show all the soundings that I know are on the Navionics card - becuase I could see them yesterday on the C95! Would appreciate advice on any config. error I may have made.
Find all posts by this user
01-16-18, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-18 11:07 AM by Dave - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: C Series MFD Wont Show All Chart Soundings
Hi Neil Langford,

Have you setup your Navionics card for Freshest data?

If you have not, this may be your issue. When comparing a Navionics card with Freshest data and one without, using the exact same display settings, the card without will not display all the details in the area.

- Dave
01-19-18, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-18 03:08 PM by Dave - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Dave, appreciate that point, and I'll do an update from our iPad later today to see if that fixes it. However, that doesn't explain how the soundings were visible on one day, and not the next. The nav card is less than twelve months old, and is registered with Navionics. Our Navionics Plus subscription for this area is valid for thew iPad also. Anyway, I'll try updating from the iPad and let you know the result.
01-19-18, 03:22 PM
Hi Neil,

The most common causes for situations like this are unintentional settings changes, and software/hardware bugs. The easiest solution for this instance is to perform an update on your card, as you mentioned above. If you do not see a change to the performance of the display, I suggest backing up all data(waypoints, routes, tracks, user settings, etc.) and performing a factory reset on the display.

- Dave
01-19-18, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-18 03:46 PM by Dave - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Dave, the update from the iPad worked OK, even to the point of downloading waypoints and Sonar data back to the pad. It reported that the charts were updated. But no change in the display of chart soundings.
So, when you say Factory Reset, do you mean "System Settings & Data Reset" found under the Maintenance tab? Or is there a hidden factory reset procedure? Neil
01-19-18, 03:57 PM
Hi Neil,

A settings and data reset should work, but a factory reset is a step further. Once you have performed either, make sure you have your settings for your charts set properly for the detail you wish to see.

To perform a factory reset follow these instructions:
Power down your display > While holding the Back button power on the display > continue holding until prompted to choose factory reset using the WPT button.

*IMPORTANT* - Back up all data prior to performing this reset. All data will be lost.

- Dave
01-21-18, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 09:30 AM by Dave - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Dave, a full factory reset fixed the problem. We're working again, thanks for your assistance!
01-22-18, 09:31 AM
You're very welcome!
Thread Closed