Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Replacing Pathfinder Radar and Displays
01-28-18, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-18 04:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Replacing Pathfinder Radar and Displays
My 49’ live aboard trawler has a navigation system consisting of the following Raymarine Equipment
Raymarine 400G Course Computer
L760+ (lower helm)
B744V Through Hull Transducer
RL80C+ (upper helm)
ST6002 x 2
SeatalkNG to Seatalk II Converter
RS130 GPS
24” Radome 48 mile Analog Radar

My radar is failing and I am looking to replace the radar and two multifunction displays. I would like to replace the MFDs with one that has the ability to use a chart that is based on the Explorer Charts. Another priority is a depth sounder that will track the bottom in shallow water and in turbulence. I would rather not replace the one year old B744V transducer unless replacing it improves the depth sounder shallow water performance.

Will you make recommendations for 2 MFD replacements (one for the fly bridge and one for lower helm) and a new wired Radar scanner? I’m not a big fan of touch screens but it looks like that is the way the technology is going.

Do both need charts?

Will my B744V fit without changing the connector? Is a connector available?

Thank you for your help
Shay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-18, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-18 04:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Replacing Pathfinder Radar and Displays
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Shay,

Q1. I would like to replace the MFDs with one that has the ability to use a chart that is based on the Explorer Charts.
A1. Raymarine's Axiom and Axiom Pro MFD are of Raymarine's latest generation of MFDs and would typically be recommended as the first choice for those installing a new system. These MFDs are designed to support Navionics, C-Map, and Raymarine LightHouse Charts. LightHouse Chart include vector and raster offerings from various government hydrographic offices (NOAA, US Army Corps of Engineers, etc.) as well as commercial cartography developers such as the following:

- Fugawi Aboard Canada - LightHouse Edition
-----Quilted Raster charts of Canada based on the complete collection of Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS) charts.

- Soteknik Swedish Marine Data – Lighthouse Edition
-----Online marine raster chart reproduction of the official Swedish Maritime Authority Charts

- Blue Latitude Press – Sea of Cortez – LightHouse Edition
-----Derived from their best selling guidebooks, Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook, this set includes all of the popular harbors and anchorages from Cabo San Lucas to Guaymas (including La Paz, Loreto, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Rosalia, Bahia de los Angeles, and San Carlos).

- Blue Latitude Press – Pacific Mexico – LightHouse Edition
-----Derived from their best selling guidebooks, Pacific Mexico: A Cruiser's Guidebook, this set includes all of the popular harbors and anchorages from Mazatlan to Bahias de Huatulco (including San Blas, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Zihuatanejo, and Acapulco).

- Wavey Line - Caribbean Wavey Line has created a deluxe set of raster charts for the most popularly visited areas / ports / marinas of the Bahamas.

- Finland Marine Rasters These charts from Solteknik are online marine raster chart reproduction of the official Finland Maritime Authority Charts

- NV-Digital - Denmark, Netherlans, Norway & USA This nv charts collection, produced by Nautical Publications, is especially made with the requirements of yachtsman in mind. These brilliant, high-color raster charts are for use on your Raymarine Lighthouse II supporting plotters.

Q2. Another priority is a depth sounder that will track the bottom in shallow water and in turbulence. I would rather not replace the one year old B744V transducer unless replacing it improves the depth sounder shallow water performance.
A2. Should the currently installed transducer's plug have been designed to be directly mated to the L760's Transducer socket, then it may be adapted to be mated to the Transducer socket of an Axiom DV MFD, Axiom RV MFD, or Axiom Pro RVX MFD. When using the currently installed transducer, fishfinder depth performance and imaging would be expected to be very similar to that experienced with the currently installed equipment. The minimum operational depth may be slightly improved when used with a DV or RV transducer.

Q3. Will you make recommendations for 2 MFD replacements (one for the fly bridge and one for lower helm) and a new wired Radar scanner? I’m not a big fan of touch screens but it looks like that is the way the technology is going.
A3. Given this preference, it would be recommended that an Axiom Pro RVX be installed at the lower station and that an Axiom Pro S MFD at the upper station. All resources (including charts) and features are shared among these MFDs. Of the items which you have listed, the following may be retained for use with the new system:
- Raymarine 400G Course Computer
- ST6002 x 2
- SeatalkNG to Seatalk Converter
- RS130
- B744V (if it matches the specifications identified within the response to Q1.)
02-04-18, 06:14 PM
Chuck thank you for the information.
I am trying to decide on a MFD to replace my L760 that has a 1 year old V744V A66091 transducer directly connected.

I am trying to decide between a eS97 with digital sonar and the eS98 with chirp down/vision.

Can the eS98 be used with my a66091 transducer using the E66066 adapter cable?

If the a66091 transducer can be used with the eS98, would you expect any difference in performance between the eS97 and eS98?

I am considering the eS98 in order to have the option of using a better depth transducer later.

Thank you
Shay
02-05-18, 11:10 AM
Shay,

Q1. Can the eS98 be used with my a66091 transducer using the E66066 adapter cable?
A1. Negative. However, the eS97 MFD may indeed be adapted (E66066) for use with an eS97 MFD.
02-05-18, 02:32 PM
I have decided to use the eS127 to replace my RL80C and eS97 to replace the L760.

The eS127 will be on my fly bridge under a bimini top.

Is there any advantage to connecting my RS130 to the SeatalkNG or will the eS127 internal GPS mounted under a canvas bimini be sufficient?

I am attaching a drawing of my intended instillation. Will you look it over and let me know if you have any recommended changes?

Shay
02-05-18, 04:38 PM
Shay,

Regarding the diagram, changes are recommended to how the SeaTalk bus will receive power. Generally, it is recommended that the SeaTalk bus be powered exclusively from the SeaTakng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. This would necessitate removing the red leads of the SeaTalk cables from the corresponding red SeaTalk terminals of the autopilot course computer. This would additionally necessitate removal of the 12V power insertions which are shown connecting to the SeaTalk Junction Blocks. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Accordingly, the backbone should be modified to include a power insertion spur.

Additionally, your diagram incorrect shows three SeaTalkng Termination Plugs within your system's backbone. Only two, one at each extreme end of the backbone should be installed.

Q1. Is there any advantage to connecting my RS130 to the SeatalkNG or will the eS127 internal GPS mounted under a canvas bimini be sufficient?
A1. While a bimini top would not typically pose a problem for an eS-Series MFD to receive GPS signal, it is recommended that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor be interfaced to the system, as it is likely been installed in a location affording it the best view of the skies overhead.
03-02-18, 12:37 PM
I am sending an attached diagram of my intended Raymarine system. Please review and let me know if I need to make changes.

Q1. Should I leave the power connected at the Course Computer for the lower helm and do away with the power insertion at the Sea Talk1 Junction Box at the ST6001+?

Q2. Is the A06049 power cable shown in the upper helm drawing sufficient to supply power to both the “Upper Helm Seatalk1” and SeatalkNG networks?

In a rare occasion I might want to only operate the lower helm MFD.

Q3. As drawn will I be able to see radar at the lower helm eS97 without the upper helm eS127 being turned on?

Q4. Which MFD would need to be the Data Master?

Q5. Is there any advantage to connect the Slave MFD to the SeatalkNG network?

Q6. Should I connect the 400G NMEA1 output to the lower helm MDF (eS97) NMEA input in order to provide Fast Heading Data for use with MARPA?

Thanks for the help,
Shay
03-02-18, 04:35 PM
Shay,

General comments: the diagram appears to be correct with the following exceptions / recommendations:
- It is recommended that a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable rather than a SeaTalkng Spur cable be run from one end of the upper station's backbone to the lower station. At the lower station, the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable would be connected to a SeaTalkng T-Piece or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. The lower station's SeaTalkng T-Piece or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector would then be connected to the lower station MFD via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. By installing the backbone cable as specified, the lower station may then include future products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (ex. instruments, VHF radio, replacement autopilot components, etc).
- The lower station junction box should not be powered ... the lower station ST6001+ will receiver power from the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port (i.e. all three leads of the SeaTalk cable will be used.
- The SeaTalk Cable connecting SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the upper station's D244 SeaTalk Junction block will need to be cut and then spliced back together, leaving the cable's power leads (red) unspliced and then insulating them to prevent shorting.

Q1. Should I leave the power connected at the Course Computer for the lower helm and do away with the power insertion at the Sea Talk1 Junction Box at the ST6001+?
A1. See the comment above.

Q2. Is the A06049 power cable shown in the upper helm drawing sufficient to supply power to both the “Upper Helm Seatalk1” and SeatalkNG networks?
A2. Yes.

In a rare occasion I might want to only operate the lower helm MFD.

Q3. As drawn will I be able to see radar at the lower helm eS97 without the upper helm eS127 being turned on?
A3. Negative. If seeking to only operate the lower helm MFD, then the system would need to include a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Radome and one Ethernet NETWORK socket of each MFD would then need to be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q4. Which MFD would need to be the Data Master?
A4. Normally, the Data Master MFD will be that which has been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng Backbone. As both of your MFD's have been so interfaced, either MFD may be designated as the system's Data Master MFD. When only one of the MFDs has been switched ON, then it will need to be designated as the system's Data Master MFD.

Q5. Is there any advantage to connect the Slave MFD to the SeatalkNG network?
A5. Yes, it would permit operation of either of the MFDs while the other MFD is switched OFF ... see the responses to Q3 and Q4.

Q6. Should I connect the 400G NMEA1 output to the lower helm MDF (eS97) NMEA input in order to provide Fast Heading Data for use with MARPA?
A6. Yes
03-02-18, 07:34 PM
Thanks, you have been very helpful.

Shay
03-05-18, 08:43 AM
You're welcome.