Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) Old Autopilot to Axiom
02-03-18, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-18 03:47 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(DG) Old Autopilot to Axiom
Hi there, I've just installed an axiom 9 RV in my sailboat and would like to tie my Comnav 1420 Autopilot in. It is of course, nmea 0183, so what is the best way to get this done, just a simple conversion such as the Actisense NGW-1?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-18, 03:51 AM
RE: (DG) Old Autopilot to Axiom
Hi iRondo

Thank you for your enquiry,

You are correct, the Actisense NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 interface would be the way to go - make sure that you use the standard version and not the one for AIS which uses a much faster data rate.

regards
02-05-18, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-18 01:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Awesome, thanks very much!

Cheers
02-05-18, 01:57 PM
You're welcome.
02-25-20, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-20 02:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'm about to do this same thing and I'd like to clarify the cabling. I'm replacing a RL70C Plus Pathfinder display with a Axiom Pro 12 RVX. The current display feeds the ComNav 1420 heading data over NMEA 0183. What cable / output should I use to connect the Axiom to the NGW-1? I assume that I connect that to the ComNav 1420 directly?

Thanks,
BD
02-28-20, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 08:34 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi BD,

Thank you for your enquiry,

You mention heading data is required? Do you mean heading or GPS Data? If you require heading, then you need compass data from soemwhere - like an autopilot, however, if you need GPS data, then this can be sourced from the AXIOM 12 PRO.

The AXIOM 12 PRO has an NMEA0183 input/ output, ( the AXIOM does not have this), therefore the AXIOM 12 PRO can output NMEA0183 GPS data directly to the ComNav device.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4180]

regards
Derek

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-28-20, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 09:04 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Yes I meant gps waypoint data. I'll update my diagram with your new information.

Thanks much!
BD
02-28-20, 09:04 AM
Thanks
You're welcome!

BRGDS
Derek
03-15-20, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-20 09:47 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Shoot I missed something. The GPS was feeding the old plotter using 3 prong SeaTalk. I think I can plug that SeaTalk connector into one of the two SeaTalk connections on the ST60. The other will be connected to the ST to STng converter. This should power the GPS and provide the data to the MFD via STng. Is that correct?

Thanks
BD
03-16-20, 10:04 AM
Hi BD
It sounds like the GPS is outputting SeaTalk, in which case the GPS can be connected to any SeaTalk connection, such as the spare connection on the ST60. the GPS data will then be carried Via SeaTalk through the converter to the MFD.

Thanks
Derek