Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Axiom 9 with Seatalk-SeaTalkng converter
02-20-18, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-18 11:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Axiom 9 with Seatalk-SeaTalkng converter
I have switched on my new Axiom 9 (3.3.170) together with my new ST1 STNG converter at home - before installing it in my boat.
Converter has power connected - LED on (no blink), Axiom connected to converter (white), both ends terminated (blue), yellow port not connected.
Question: I cannot "see" the converter in the data source list on my Axiom. Does this mean that the ST converter is not working? Or must I connect my ST4000 before it will show activity?
Jorgen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-18, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-18 11:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Axiom 9 with Seatalk-SeaTalkng converter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jorgen,

The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should not be expected to appear within the Data Sources List. However, if properly interfaced to the system, then it should appear within the diagnostics of the system's Data Master MFD (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->VIEW ALL PRODUCTS). As has been indicated within the FAQ found here, it is recommended that autopilots having a SeaTalk communications interface not supply power to the SeaTalk bus when interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
Instead, the SeaTalk bus will be powered via the SeaTalkng bacbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Per the FAQ found here, please note that while the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is supported for use with the ST4000+ autopilot it is not supported for use with the ST4000. Please additionally be aware that Autopilot Controls feature of MFD's running LH3 software is exclusively designed for use with Evolution autopilots. Accordingly, should the MFD be interfaced to a legacy autopilot, then the autopilot control head's buttons would need to be used to command the autopilot into Standby, Auto, and Track modes, execute +/-1 and +/-10 heading changes, and the configure the autopilot.
02-22-18, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-18 05:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck
Yes I can see the STNG Converter as described.
Concerning Autopilots I have a 4000+ and I understand that it can be used together with my Axiom using it as you describe.
Jorgen
02-22-18, 05:18 PM
Jorgen,

You're welcome. Axiom MFDs may indeed be used with legacy autopilots having a SeaTalk communications interface which are compatible with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. One may verify communications between the MFD and autopilot by configuring the MFD to display the Heading data item. Should the Heading data item be populated, then the MFD has been determined to be be communicating with the autopilot. As specified within my initial response, it will not be possible to use the Axiom MFD's Autopilot Controls feature with any type of autopilot other than a Raymarine Evolution autopilot. However, it will be possible to command navigation (i.e. GoTo Waypoint/Cursor or Follow Route via the MFD) and then use the autopilot control head, S100, or SmartController to then command the autopilot into Track Mode. This is much the same procedure which would have been followed prior to the introduction of the Autopilot Controls feature within Raymarine MFDs.
02-25-18, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-18 10:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck
You recommend that I supply the ST4000+ from the SeatalkNG converter via the spur cable but reading the ST4000+ Manuel it recommends a 7Amp fuse in the 12V feeding cable – probably to feed the tiller drive. I doubt I can avoid feeding the seatalk bus from ST4000+ or?
Rg
Jorgen
02-26-18, 10:23 AM
Jorgen,

Incorrect. I have directed that the SeaTalk bus, not the ST4000+, be powered from the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The ST4000+ must be powered via its 12VDC power terminals via a circuit which is adequately protected by a fuse or breaker per the ST4000+ owners manual. However, the ST4000's SeaTalk port is capable of outputting power to a SeaTalk bus. To prevent this, the SeaTalk cable which is connected to the ST4000+'s SeaTalk socket must be cut. After doing so, the SeaTalk cable's data (yellow) leads and its ground (shield) leads will be spliced back together, leaving the SeaTalk cable's power leads (red) un-spliced and insulated to prevent shorting.
02-26-18, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-18 03:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks - I understand now.
Rg
02-26-18, 03:57 PM
You're welcome.