Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Display example(s) of HD open array radar interfaced to E-classic MFDs
09-03-19, 09:34 AM
RE: [CA] Display example(s) of HD open array radar interfaced to E-classic MFDs
Hi there,

I'm reviewing the install instructions for the Magnum open array. I'm planning a two step upgrade of my system, first with the radar upgrade to a Magnum 48" 4kw interfaced to a pair of networked E-Classic MFDs, then a subsequent upgrade of the plotters to Axiom's.

The radar install manual says a number of features won't work with the older plotter, I'm fine with that with the exception of 'No Real Time Heading'. What does that mean? The E-Classic plotters are able to take the pilot heading (S3G pilot currently installed) and rotate the radar image to keep it in sync with the map data. So how will this be different with the newer radar?

As I understand it, the interface of the new radar will be directly to the HS switch to network radar data to both the Master and Slave plotters. Since I'll be eventually upgrading to Axiom, I'm thinking of installing the standard Raynet version of the radar cable and just adding a short Raynet to Seatalk HS adapter for the HS switch interface, make sense?

With the E-Classic, it provided power for the older analog radar I currently have. Now with the Magnum and the VCM module, power will be independent of the on/off status of the E-classic plotter. Are there any considerations beyond having an independent fuse/breaker for the VCM power interface, ie, if the VCM sees power applied without the plotter being on, will it simply power up in standby and sit dormant, drawing standby power until the plotter is on-line and commands the radar to spin up?

Do you have any other cautions about a configuration of dual E-Classics with a Magnum open array radar?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Display example(s) of HD open array radar interfaced to E-classic MFDs - lotharjt - 09-03-19 09:34 AM