Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radar Extension Cables
03-31-16, 04:31 PM
Radar Extension Cables
Hello,

I currently have a Pathfinder radar system installed.

I just purchased and plan on installing a RD424HD radome on my sailboat. The HD424 came with a 10 m cable which runs from the HD424 to the base of the mast. The cable has a data connection and power/ground pigtail on the end at the base of the mast.

I purchased a E55080D extension cable to get me from the base of the mast to the back of the E125 unit at the nav station. So far makes sense.

Now the E55080D seems to be just a data cable and does not have the power/ground pigtail.

My question is, do I also have to run a seperate power line from the base of the mast to the breaker at the nav station to supply power to the radome?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-16, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-16 01:49 PM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Radar Extension Cables
The extension cable for the digital cables work a little differently that the older analog style. The digital extension cables connect to the radar first before connecting the standard digital radar cable to the end of the extension cable. This will allow the power leads to be extended to the length of the extension.
04-05-16, 04:29 PM
(04-01-16 12:12 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  The extension cable for the digital cables work a little differently that the older analog style. The digital extension cables connect to the radar first before connecting the standard digital radar cable to the end of the extension cable. This will allow the power leads to be extended to the length of the extension.

Ok I am a tad confused now, as raymarine answered that i needed to run a separate 14 ga two wire power cable from the Nav to the base of the mast parallel to the extension cable. I don't see that post now was it deleted or modified to this?

So what i gather from what you said above, I should replace the cable that came with the radome that has the separate power pigtail with the new extension cable which will now run from the radome down inside the mast to the base.

Does the new extension cable then provide power to the radome or do I run the 2 wire 14 ga up the mast to the radome to power it?

So the path would be at the radome on the mast connect extension cable (carries both data and power) which will run to the base of the mast.

From the nav station run the radome cable (the one with the separate pigtail for power) to the base of the mast. The pigtail end stays at the nav station and provides power.

At the base of the mast I connect the radome cable (which is powered from the nav station) to the extension cable from the Radome and that will provide both data and power to the radome.

Do i have that right now?

Thanks
04-06-16, 09:18 AM
dkritter,

Both Digital Radar Cables and Digital Radar Extension Cables feature internal power leads. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface the radome to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. I believe that you will find that the referenced FAQ will address your questions. Should you have any additional questions, please respond accordingly.