Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Multi Generation Network
03-12-18, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-18 02:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Multi Generation Network
I currently have the auto pilot and eS127 shown in the network diagram attached. The eS127 is not currently connected to the SeaTalk network. I likely have some errors on how the current SeaTalk network is routed since I did not install that myself and I have not traced the cables to see what is connected to what. The TriData displays and transducers shown are not providing accurate data (Speed to slow, water temp too high, depth is fairly close), and are now redundant so I may choose to remove them completely, but for now they are still installed.
I am adding the Axiom, SeaTalk to SeaTalk NG converter and the Maretron components.
Please critique the network diagram and let me know if I have something incorrect, or if there is a better way to connect things.

Thanks,

Steve.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-18, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-18 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Multi Generation Network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Q1. The TriData displays and transducers shown are not providing accurate data (Speed to slow, water temp too high, depth is fairly close), and are now redundant so I may choose to remove them completely, but for now they are still installed.
A1. While MFDs supporting LightHouse II and LightHouse 3 software support Multiple Data Sources (MDS), older Raymarine equipment designs do not. Should more than one source of GPS, depth, wind, heading, speed through water, GPS datum, or Date & Time be present within the system, then the Data Sources feature must executed to specify which source will be used for any of these data items for which more than one source exists within the system.

When instrument transducers, Speed must be calibrated via the user interface of
the instrument having the transducer connected to it. Complete details for Speed calibration may be found within the intrument's owner's manual.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to correct errant instrument temperature. Should speed through water data be required and the temperature error be greater than 9.9 degrees, then the speed/temp transducer will need to be replaced, as the ST60 Tridata will not calculate speed through water unless it senses a that a temperature transducer has been interfaced to it.

As with Speed calibration, the Tridata instruments supports both waterline offset or keel offset configuration. Should one not have accounted for differences in the mounting depths of the transducers then differences in depth may well be reported. Also, the instrument depth transducers operate at 200kHz. Should the system be configured such that the P319 is also pinging at 200kHz, then the P319 may well interfere with the instrument transducer.

Q2. I may choose to remove them completely, but for now they are still installed.
A2. See my response to Q1 regarding the ramifications of not having a speed through water transducer interfaced to the Tridata instrument. Should it not be an issue to loose speed through water, then the Tridata instruments may be configured as Depth, speed, and temperature repeaters and then interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q3. Please critique the network diagram and let me know if I have something incorrect, or if there is a better way to connect things.
A3. Please note that stuffing box temperature, engine room temperature, and refrigerator temperature are not among the data items which Raymarine MFDs are designed to support.
03-13-18, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-18 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the detailed reply Chuck.

Q1/A1. To be fair to the TriData instruments, I have not attempted to calibrate them, since my eS127 gives me all the data I need. I should attempt the calibration.
Good note on the P319 possibly causing interference.

Q2/A2. If I choose to remove both transducers from the TriData, are you saying that I can view speed/depth/temp data that is supplied from the eS127 on the SeaTalkNG network? That would be great.

Q3/A3. It very unfortunate that Raymarine has chosen not to implement all of the NEMA2000 PGN's and beyond that the labels feature. This puts me in a position that I would now need to purchase two Maretron displays to get this feature (one per helm). That adds $1000 to my cost, when I have two perfectly good and recent Raymarine screens, that have the potential to display this data, but choose not to. Seems to me it would be nothing more than a few lines of code to accept additional PGN's - it would be nice to see this added to extend the functionality of the displays, and to reduce the chance that Raymarine customers are forced to look at other vendors displays.
03-14-18, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-18 03:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Multi Generation Network
Steve,

Q1. If I choose to remove both transducers from the TriData, are you saying that I can view speed/depth/temp data that is supplied from the eS127 on the SeaTalkNG network? That would be great.
A1. Not quite. Should the transducers be disconnected from the Tridata display and the Tridata displays be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, then the Tridata displays will repeat depth and temperature from the other components ... the system does not presently feature a second speed through water sensing transducer and unlike ST60+ Tridata instruments, the ST60 Tridata instruments cannot be configured to display SOG instead of speed through water.

Q2. It very unfortunate that Raymarine has chosen not to implement all of the NEMA2000 PGN's and beyond that the labels feature. This puts me in a position that I would now need to purchase two Maretron displays to get this feature (one per helm). That adds $1000 to my cost, when I have two perfectly good and recent Raymarine screens, that have the potential to display this data, but choose not to. It would be nice to see this added to extend the functionality of the displays.
A2. Thanks for the comments and feature suggest. A corresponding feature request will be logged accordingly for consideration to be included within a future LightHouse 3 software update, as well as within succeeding MFD software designs.

Please click here more information concerning feature suggestions.
03-14-18, 03:03 PM
Thanks Chuck. SOG is based on GPS I would think and therefore the GPS in the MFD doesn't provide speed through water, correct? In my case is there any other data the ST60 can repeat, or is it just temperature and depth?
03-14-18, 03:30 PM
Steve,

Q1. SOG is based on GPS I would think and therefore the GPS in the MFD doesn't provide speed through water, correct?
A1. As you have suggested SOG is produced by the system's GPS sensing device. An eSx7 MFD will only produce speed through water data when interfaced to a fishfinder transducer which features paddlewheel to sense speed through water.

Q2. In my case is there any other data the ST60 can repeat, or is it just temperature and depth?
A2. Unlike the ST60 Multi and the ST60+ Graphic which followed, the ST60 Tridata Instruments were exclusively designed to report depth, speed (STW), and water temperature data.
03-15-18, 08:49 AM
Thank you!
03-15-18, 09:31 AM
You're welcome.