Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] External GPS cable
03-19-18, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-18 03:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] External GPS cable
Hi, I have an older GPS external antennae (Lowrance) with a male 4 pin connector, do you know if there is a cable that I can purchase that will interface that antennae to the Axiom 9 I have? If not can you tell me the pin out and connector type used on the Axiom 9 so I can construct a cable to interface this external antennae if that is possible?

Thanks,
Geoff McKenzie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-18, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-18 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] External GPS cable
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Geoff,

There would certainly be no adapter cable offered by Raymarine to support the end which you are seeking. The first thing which must be determined from the GPS sensor's installation guide or its manufacturer is whether the sensor supports NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 communications. Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. If the GPS sensor support supports NMEA 0813 communications, it would need to be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 (SeaTalkng) data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) which in turn would be interfaced as a spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
03-23-18, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-18 12:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply, what is my best option for adding a raymarine external GPS antennae to my axiom?
03-23-18, 12:38 PM
Geoff,

We would recommend that a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to provide the system with GPS data from an external GPS Sensor. Should your system not presently feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may construct a simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.