Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) system upgrade
03-20-18, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-18 04:51 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(DG) system upgrade
Replacing a C80 on a 40ft sailboat. currently have radar, ST60 speed & depth and wind. Autopilot is separate.

The plan is to replace C80 with Axiom Pro 12 and Quantum radar while maintaining older instruments. Will use iTC-5 to connect instruments to MFD. What am I missing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-18, 04:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-18 04:59 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: (DG) system upgrade
Hi Marty F
Thank you for your enquiry

The Radar for the C80 will be an analogue version and so will need to be replaced with the Quantum when you fit the AXIOM. This FAQ here will help explain the upgrade.

Since you are keeping the ST60 instruments, they should remain connected to their transducers and so no itc-5 will be needed. You then connect the Seatalk network - which is how the ST60s are currently connected - to the AXIOM PRO through an E22158 SeaTalk to STng converter.

You may find this article usefull to guide through the use of the converter.

Regards
03-22-18, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-18 12:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I was planning to connect the transducers, via iTC-5 to the MFD and eliminate the ST60s.
03-22-18, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-18 04:19 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the info but I should have said transducers rather than instruments. The transducers thru the iTC-5 will connect to MFD but if I were to add AIS I'd have to set up a backbone to run both to the MFD, correct?
03-23-18, 04:36 AM
Hi MartyF

AH- OK, if you are keeping the transducers only, then use the itc-5, and you will need to use an i70s to carry out the calibration of the transducers, ( alarms, wind angle etc . . .), since this is all stored in the itc-5. This link clickhere will explain.

This link click here describes a simple NMEA2000 or STng backbone - note that STng is fully compatible with NMEA2000.

The itc-5 and the i70 is connected into the backbone which then connects to the AXIOM PRO.

The AIS will also connect to the Backbone too.
This FAQ will help click here.

regards