Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] SonarChart vs. SonarChart Live
03-24-18, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 09:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] SonarChart vs. SonarChart Live
Hi,

I have just bought an Axiom 7DV and want to better understand how the downloaded SonarCharts from Navionics and my own logged data (SonarChart Live?) are handled and how they can be separated. I don't feel I can trust all data after reviewing them on some for me known places. It just looks like interpolated depths from the base chart and not based on measurements on many places.

I want to be able to at some places look at all SonarChart including my own loggings and on other places/occasions only look at my own logged depths. Is that possible?

In other words: If I download the SonarCharts from Navionics, is it be possible to just use my own logged depths as SonarCharts?

If I downloaded the SonarCharts onto my included Navionics+ card, is it possible to remove the downloaded SonarCharts completely from the card in order to just have my own logged depths together with the base charts displayed.
If so: Will I lose my already logged depths when I remove the downloaded SonarCharts?

Many related questions, but I hope you understand what I want to know before I download any SonarChart.

Regards,
Ken
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-18, 01:14 PM
RE: [CA] SonarChart vs. SonarChart Live
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ken,

Q1. In other words: If I download the SonarCharts from Navionics, is it be possible to just use my own logged depths as SonarCharts?

A1. Partially. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. When the Sonar Logging feature has been enabled, sonar log files are stored on the chart card. However, these files are not accessed until the SonarChart Live feature has been enabled. As you can see from the screen snapshot within the referenced FAQ, the SonarChart Live charting layer is transparent and overlays the contours from the Navionics SonarCharts and/or Nautical Charts. The bathymetry displayed by the SonarChart Live feature will be bold to stand out from the underlying cartography. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, when seeking to maximize the accuracy and detail of the SonarChart Live bathymetry, it is recommended that a pattern search (see image below) be performed over the area of interest (reef, wreck, submerged creek bed, drop off, etc.). Doing so will permit sonar from multiple angles to pass over the area.

Q2. If I downloaded the SonarCharts onto my included Navionics+ card, is it possible to remove the downloaded SonarCharts completely from the card in order to just have my own logged depths together with the base charts displayed.
A2. While it is certainly possible to remove SonarCharts from the Navionics+ chart card, thereby reducing the bathymetric contours to those within the Navionics Nautical Charts, it is not necessary to do so. Should you simply configure the Chart application's settings to Show Contours feature to NONE and then configure the Chart application's Sonar Logging and SonarChart Live features to ON, then only contours from your sonar logs will be displayed.

Q3. Will I lose my already logged depths when I remove the downloaded SonarCharts?
A3. Negative. Again, it is not necessary to remove SonarCharts from the chart card to achieve the end which you are seeking ... see the response to Q2.
03-28-18, 02:40 AM
Thank you Chuck for an extensive and comprehensible explanation.

Unfortunately, I where not so clear in my explanation of what I want to achieve.

My understanding of terminology in order to explain my use case better:
Ch1. Navionics Nautical Charts, the charts based on national authorities issued charts and normally used for navigation.
Ch2. Navionics SonarCharts, chart information based on logs provided by the user community to Navionics with extra bathymetric contours for all areas downloaded.
Ch3. SonarCharts Live, chart information locally created and used within the MFD with the same type of bathymetric information as in Ch2 above, but of course only for the areas I have logged.

Q4. If the chart card contains all 3 types of chart data above, is it possible to only show Ch1 and Ch3? That is, is it possible to suppress Ch2 from the display?

Q5. I am aware of the transparency feature which according to my understanding controls how much of Ch1 and Ch2 is shown together with Ch3. Is this feature treating Ch1 and Ch2 together or only one of them?

Now when you hopefully understand my usage case (display Ch1 and Ch3), maybe you can review the answers to Q2 and Q3? If I can remove Ch2 from the card, then I dare to download and test myself ;-)

If the answer to Q4 is "no", then I think I need to skip downloading of Ch2 :-(

Thanks for a great support forum!

Regards, Ken
03-28-18, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-18 10:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ken,

Q4. If the chart card contains all 3 types of chart data above, is it possible to only show Ch1 and Ch3? That is, is it possible to suppress Ch2 from the display?
A4. Yes. When the Chart application's Menu is displayed, options for Simple and Detailed will access contour data from the Navionics Nautical Charts. Should the Fishing Chart option be selected from this menu, then the Navionics SonarCharts will be displayed. The SonarChart Live cartography may be used to overlay cartography displayed when either the Detailed or Fishing Chart option from the Charts menu has been selected.

Q5. I am aware of the transparency feature which according to my understanding controls how much of Ch1 and Ch2 is shown together with Ch3. Is this feature treating Ch1 and Ch2 together or only one of them?
A5. The transparency feature controls only the SonarChart Live layer's transparency. See the response to Q1 addressing how Nautical Charts or Fishing Charts may be displayed.

Q6. If I can remove Ch2 from the card, then I dare to download and test myself.
A6. Again, there is no need to remove the SonarCharts from the chart card, as SonarCharts will only be displayed when the Fishing Charts menu option has been selected.
03-28-18, 03:05 PM
Thank you Chuck!

The answer A4 resolved all my worries ?

Ken
03-29-18, 07:40 AM
You're welcome.