Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) Extending Adaptor Cable for Axiom 9
03-25-18, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-18 08:58 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(DG) Extending Adaptor Cable for Axiom 9
I must extend my Adaptor Cable A06045 by cutting it and extending it with 1,5 – 2 meters.
1) What is the maximum extension length?
2) Which psychical dimensions must the extension cable have (AWG or mm2) – will a CAT 5 or CAT 6 do with no shield?
3 Can you suggest a better one.
Rg
Jorgen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-18, 09:39 AM
RE: (DG) Extending Adaptor Cable for Axiom 9
Hi jorbro

Thank you for your enquiry

We would generally avoid cutting and extending spur cables, since high resistance joints will cause data corruption and data loss, every additional join is a potential source of failure, source of RFi interference and in worst case a fire hazzard.

We would suggest using a junction block and connect a further length of STng Spur cable to give a maximum total spur length of less than 6m

Regards
03-27-18, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 08:15 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok Understand, but my problem is that I must draw a spur cable from cabin roof through a tube of 1,5 meters and the diameter is not big enough to let the connector go through - so I have to cut.
03-27-18, 08:22 AM
Hi jorbro

Thanks for the feedback, there are some circumstances when there is no option and although we will not recommend it, the cable may have to be cut and rejoined. In this case, the joint must be mechanically secure, electrical sound and well insulated.

regards