Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] axiom 9 versus axiom 9 pro
03-25-18, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 03:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] axiom 9 versus axiom 9 pro
i just recently installed the RV-220 transducers on my 30' pursuit express. i use the boat for fishing. i am replacing my A series with then new axiom, i am leaning towards the pro. i am also looking at the possibility of upgrading the radar, i have the rd418d model. i am unsure if it will be compatible with the axiom and or axiom pro. my budget is limited as i initially was only going to replace the a series, but then when the boat bottom was being painted i started the upgrade.

obviously radar's main use is safety, but i have heard it can be used to locate flocks of birds. i have looked for user manuals on the radar units and cannot find them, even the new blurb on the raymarine website about finding birds does not list any models or any other sort of link to direct you to a product line etc.

thus i am asking two questions, going forward if i decide or need to upgrade the radar, is there a difference in the axiom versus the axiom pro and which radar domes have the capability to detect birds, its is my understanding that higher power open aray is best. but can my rd418d locate them? or what other lower priced models would be best suited to do so with the upcoming purchase of the new axiom model i will be soon getting.

thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-18, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 04:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] axiom 9 versus axiom 9 pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

Q1. i just recently installed the RV-220 transducers on my 30' pursuit express. i use the boat for fishing. i am replacing my A series with then new axiom, i am leaning towards the pro.
A1. On of the major differences between an Axiom MFD and an Axiom Pro MFD is that the Axiom Pro MFDs feature a HybridTouch interface while the Axiom MFD features a touchscreen alone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when a HybridTouch interface or RMK-9/10 would be recommended.

Q2. i have the rd418d model. i am unsure if it will be compatible with the axiom and or axiom pro.
A2. Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs are designed to run LightHouse 3 software. MFDs running LightHouse 3 software are compatible with the RD418D radome.

Q3. i have heard it can be used to locate flocks of birds. i have looked for user manuals on the radar units and cannot find them, even the new blurb on the raymarine website about finding birds does not list any models or any other sort of link to direct you to a product line etc.
A3. If seeking to use the Bird Mode radar feature, the MFD must be interfaced to either a HD Radome, HD Open Array Pedestal w/Array, or to a SuperHD Open Array Pedestal w/Array.
03-27-18, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-18 07:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thank you very much. very helpful.
03-28-18, 07:47 AM
You're welcome.