Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Questions About Axiom and 3D RV
04-10-18, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-18 07:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Questions About Axiom and 3D RV
Hello Everyone!

Well I finally was able to get a boat! Now I just need to upgrade the not so good electronics that came with it. With that said I'm looking at the Axiom w/ RV. I'm undecided on screen size, but like everyone says bigger is better.

Questions.

1) Any Bass anglers currently using RV or is this application more for deep water?

2) When running these screens do I have to directly run power to my battery or could I use the power supply in the dash (currently have HB PiranhaMaxx)

3) Are these units in dash console mountable? All the vids and pictures I've seen they are mounted on the dash

4) Are these units network capatable with Dragon or axiom on the trolling motor?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-18, 10:20 AM
RE: [CA] Questions About Axiom and 3D RV
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum MrBigDawg,

Q1) Any Bass anglers currently using RV or is this application more for deep water?
A1) Axiom RV MFDs and Axiom Pro RVX MFDs are indeed being installed on fishing boats used on lakes and rivers for those fishing for bass as well as other species. RealVision 3D's ability identify structure and fish located around and within structure are among its key features.

Q2) When running these screens do I have to directly run power to my battery or could I use the power supply in the dash (currently have HB PiranhaMaxx)
A2) While it is conceivable that an Axiom 7 RV may be installed in a manner which would permit it to be powered through a 12V socket at one's helm, it would be necessary to verify that the circuit supplying the 12V socket was capable of supporting the power consumption of the Axiom 7 RV (9.84 Watts). The best installation practice would call for hard wiring its power cable and running it to a switched circuit which is in turn powered from the battery.

Q3) Are these units in dash console mountable? All the vids and pictures I've seen they are mounted on the dash.
A3) Axiom 7 MFDs may be bracket mounted (kit supplied with MFD), front mounted, or back mounted using the appropriate kit. For open boats, the A80498 Front Mount Kit is typically recommended for installation of an Axiom 7 RV/DV MFD.

Q4) Are these units network capatable with Dragon or axiom on the trolling motor?
A4) Dragonfly fishfinders do not feature a communications interface which will permit them to be networked with other products. Axiom MFDs, Axiom Pro MFDs, and eS/gS-Series MFDs feature an Ethernet communications interface to support interfacing the MFDs with one another and with compatible Raymarine / FLIR products having an Ethernet communications interface. The Axiom MFDs feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, while Axiom Pro MFDs feature NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 communications interfaces to support interfacing these MFDs with other Raymarine and third party products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface and/or a NMEA 0183 communications interface.
04-11-18, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the detailed answers Chuck!

I'll had a chance to put my hands on the Axiom 9 last night. I have to say it's a pretty nice unit. The sales associate was not very knowledgeable of Raymarine or any other brands, so I'll have to do so more research.

When it comes to running a Axiom on the bow; can the transducer be mounted on a trolling motor?

Thanks
04-11-18, 12:49 PM
MrBigDawg,

Q. When it comes to running a Axiom on the bow; can the transducer be mounted on a trolling motor?
A. Indeed the RV-100 RealVision Transducer may be mounted to a trolling motor. While Raymarine does not offer trolling motor mounts for the RV transducers, they are available from third party transducer accessory manufacturers.