Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) Hooking up Smartpilot x-5 to Simrad Plotter
04-14-18, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-18 07:59 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(DG) Hooking up Smartpilot x-5 to Simrad Plotter
Hi, I just bought a boat with a Raymarine Smartpilot X-5. The unit works well and I use it all the time. I have 3 questions.

1) Are all those input/output connections on the course computer really workable? I can see NMEA and Sea Talk and Sea Talk (ng) Does ng stand for "next generation", "nice gray", "not good" ????

2) Which input/output on the computer would I best use to connect to my Simrad NSS9 Evo2 Plotter so that I can use the Simrad unit to control the auto-pilot and not have to have both the Raymarine Controller screen and Simrad Plotter taking up space. The Simrad has an NMEA 2000 connection and I am setting up a NMEA 2000 backbone.

3) Could I also use my KVH1000 Autocomp heading sensor with my Smartpilot and not have to have two heading sensors. The KVH1000 output is NMEA 1083 and is used to synch up my radar output.

Thanks in advance for any help. Doug
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-18, 08:31 AM
RE: (DG) Hooking up Smartpilot x-5 to Simrad Plotter
Hi dougfrye177

Thank you for your enquiry.

In answer to your points

1. The three types of data protocol are all available depending on the architecture of your system, SeaTalk, (sometimes referred to as SeaTalk 1), NMEA ( NMEA 0183) and STng, ( SeaTalk next generation - compatible with NMEA2000). it is important toplan the installation to use the relevant options, noting that the data between SeaTalk and NMEA0183 is bridged between the two, but STng is a dedicated input/ output and not bridged.

2. It is unlikely that the Simrad display can operate as an autopilot controller, since each manufacturer will have their own proprietary autopilot commands. You will be able to create a route of waypoints in the Simrad unit and then engage TRACK mode in the Autopilot - to enable the Autopilot to follow the route.

3. YOu could connect the KVH compass to the NMEA0183 input on the SPX5, but then you must disconnect the Fluxgate from the SPX5 so you do not have two compasses in the system.

regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply