Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] iTC-5 as an interface to ST1 Displays
04-17-18, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-18 12:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] iTC-5 as an interface to ST1 Displays
I want connect my speed, wind and depth transducers to an iTC-5 and then connect the iTC-5 to my ST1 network using the E22158 converter (see diagram). Will my design as depicted work or will I need an i70S added to the STNG network? Comments and suggested improvements are welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-18, 12:16 PM
RE: [CA] iTC-5 as an interface to ST1 Displays
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

Installation of an iTC-5 within a system additionally requires that an i70S Multifunction Instrument Display be installed within the SeaTalkng backbone. The iTC-5 will be used to calibrate the instrument transducers and to configure any alarms and/or offsets associated with the environmental data sensed by the transducers.
04-19-18, 11:06 AM
Thanks again Chuck,
Sorry, I should have given you more detail on the ST1 equipment I have:
E80 Classic
ST60 Wind (Raytheon)
ST60+ Graphic
ST60+ Tridata
ST6000+ Autopilot (Raytheon)
Type 100/300 Autopilot
There is a Raystar GPS but I'm not positive where it is connected yet. I suspect it goes to the Autopilot.
I have re-drawn my sketch to capture what I think you are recommending. Let me know if you see any issues with it. Is there a pre-made STng cable that will connect to the E80? What is the part number if there is?
Will all the displays on the Navpod still display correctly in this configuration? I would like them to work like remote displays.
Is there a simpler way to achieve what I am trying to do? I welcome your input.
What is driving this upgrade is my tridata. The speed input to it doesn't work but it will display speed if the transducer is connected to a new i50 tridata when its connected to the ST1 network (works fine as a remote). I'd like to move my transducers to the iTC5 which means getting the STng set up (ready for the next round of upgrades as $$ permit.
04-19-18, 12:55 PM
Brian,

Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated that I had first reported as I has neglected to pay notice to the model of autopilot course computer within your system. While ST60 instruments and a ST6000+ won't pose any issues, the Type 100/300 autopilot course computer will. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Assuming that the Type 100/300 autopilot course computer had previously functioned satisfactorily withi your MFD and instruments, the following changes are recommended:
- eliminate the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter from your proposed drawing
- leave the ST60/ST60+ instruments, ST6000+ and Type 100/300 autopilot course computer interfaced to the MFD via SeaTalk.
- construct a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which will include the iTC-5. The MFD and i70S would then be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone.
- leave the GPS sensor interfaced as it presently is to the system.
04-19-18, 02:40 PM
Thanks Chuck, this is coming together, I appreciate your valuable input.

I updated the sketch (rev 3 now) to incorporate your comments (I believe).
I just want to confirm that the wind, speed and depth information will make it to the displays on the ST1 network (on the navpod). With this configuration, it seems the E80 MFD will act as the converter/bridge for the wind, speed and depth between the STng and the ST1 networks. Can you confirm that?

Thanks again,
Brian
04-20-18, 09:14 AM
Brian,

The diagram is now very close. As the Type 100/300 autopilot course computer did not support outputting 10Hz stabilized heading data from its NMEA 0183 port, there would be no reason to install the Actisense data bridge. The MFD will bridge data between SeaTalk and SeaTalkng for the devices shown within the diagram.
04-20-18, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-18 09:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, that's good news.
I have redrawn the sketch based on your latest input (now rev4).
Is it still okay to power the STng network as shown? So the ST1 network will still be powered from the Autopilot and the new STng network will be powered through the iTC-5?
In the future, I'm looking at replacing the E80 with an Axiom 9. Would the ST1 to STng converter be required then or would the Actisense still be necessary?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1803]

Thanks again,
Brian
04-20-18, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-18 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Brian,

The diagram looks good now.

Q1. Is it still okay to power the STng network as shown? So the ST1 network will still be powered from the Autopilot and the new STng network will be powered through the iTC-5?
A1. Yes. A SeaTalkng Power Cable may be connected to the spur socket (white) of the iTC-5. While not considered a best practice for installing power circuits for marine electronics, powering the SeaTalkng backbone from the same power circuit which is powering the autopilot will work.

Q2. In the future, I'm looking at replacing the E80 with an Axiom 9. Would the ST1 to STng converter be required then or would the Actisense still be necessary?
A2. Unlike the Axiom Pro MFDs, the Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Unless the autopilot course computer also changed (additionally requires replacement of the autopilot control head and fluxgate compass), then use of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would not be supported within the system. That said, it would be permissible to disconnect the current autopilot course computer and autopilot control head from the system and then use the Actisense NGW-1 to support bridging data from the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to the autopilot's NMEA 0183 input port. Doing so would also then permit the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to then be installed and support data bridging between the SeaTalkng / NMEA 0200 backbone and the ST60/60+ Instruments.
04-23-18, 10:15 AM
Understood and thanks again Chuck.
I noticed in the SeaTalkng Reference Manual that they describe using the ST70 as a bridging device to connect a ST1 network to a STng network. Is it safe to assume that the E80 Classic MFD and the ST70 work exactly the same in this regard? I included the diagram from the manual that I am referring to.
04-24-18, 08:23 AM
Yes.