Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Axiom GPS acting up
04-18-18, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-18 12:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Axiom GPS acting up
First I have to say I absolutely love my Axiom 9's. Have them master/slave and I just installed the cmap max n+ charts. My gps seems to be acting up and is showing me approx 50ft north of my actual position. Any suggestions? Was acting perfectly with just the Navionics (pre-intsalled) and now it affects positioning on both charts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-18, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-18 12:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Axiom GPS acting up
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum sspivey2005,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
04-18-18, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-18 03:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Can i use the Raystar GA150? Actually, I'm confused. Unit works properly, then CMap gets installed, now navionics and cmap are showing incorrect position.

Could you please give me a few troubleshooting options? The FAQ didnt seem to address my issue
04-18-18, 03:27 PM
In fact, the previously referenced FAQ (The boat icon's plotted position is not correct) does indeed address this problem. In short there is either a fault with the MFD's GPS sensor or with the georeferencing of the cartography. As the problem does not appear to be dependent upon the type of cartography which is in use, the problem is looking a bit more like a fault with the installation (i.e. system in need of an external GPS sensor) or a failure of the MFD's internal GPS sensor. The FAQ addresses how to test the performance of a properly installed GPS sensing device (i.e. one which has been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead). Systems in which the GPS sensing device (in this case a MFD) has not installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead may need to be fitted with an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor ... the GA150 is not designed to be interfaced to an Axiom MFD). One would typically determine whether an external GPS is required by examining the reported HDOP within the MFD's GPS Status dialog.

Should the GPS sensor be determined to produce a FIX having a HDOP of 1.0 or less, then the problem would be determined to be a georeferencing issue with the cartography on the chart card(s) and the cartography manufacturer(s) would then be contacted to produce corrected cartography. Should the GPS sensor be determined to produce a FIX having a HDOP of 2.0 or greater and the MFD be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then the problem would be determined to be fault within the MFD's internal GPS receiver, necessitating that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
04-18-18, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-18 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, Sometimes I have to read things multiple times to fully grasp. I'm going to do a factory reset on the units and see if that helps. If not this is clearly a CMAP issue as the units performed flawlessly until an additional card was installed.
04-18-18, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-18 11:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
sspivey2005,

As indicated within my last response, "as the problem does not appear to be dependent upon the type of cartography which is in use, the problem is looking a bit more like a fault with the installation (i.e. system in need of an external GPS sensor) or a failure of the MFD's internal GPS sensor. You need to address the recommendations of my last response and the previously referenced FAQ. There is no reason to believe that using a C-Map chart card with the system in the past would in any way cause a problem with plotting the vessel's position when using Navionics cartography.
07-11-18, 09:36 AM
Wanted to follow up on this and admit that it was operator error :) Because of my installation it takes a little longer to get a lock on position but once it does it operates perfectly. CMAP does need to do a little updating but that's on them. Overall I could not be happier with the Axioms and the software updates just keep getting better!

Shawn
07-11-18, 11:30 AM
Shawn,

Thanks for the update.