Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[CA] Ev-150 Deviation Cruise and No Change in "Detecting Magnetics" status
04-30-18, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-18 03:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Ev-150 Deviation Cruise and No Change in "Detecting Magnetics" status
I'm having a problem with the final calibration step of a EV150 Autopilot that I purchased new from TheGPS Store approximately 3 weeks ago.

The overall installation went well. No real problems. I've successfully completed the Dockside Wizard per the Raymarine instructions. And all of the vessel parameters have been entered.

But the final step of calibrating requires a determination of the magnetic deviation of the EV-1 sensor by going on a slow (3-15kts) seatrail performing "Figure 8s" for 15-20 minutes. I believe this step is technically referred to as the "deviation cruise"

During this time, the "progress bar" on the AP control head should progressively change from red to green color and get longer indicating a successful calibration. Here's the problem: none of this happens. The progress bar never moves. I've made small turns. I've made big, wide turns. I've made figure 8's. I've done circles. I've gone slow (5kts). And I've gone fast (10 kts). Nothing changes. The status bar never moves and never changes colors. It's red.

Below are the software version of each component:

EV-1: v.2.18 (E70096)
p70Rs: v.3.07 (E70329)
ACU: v.2.23 (E70430)

Per the Raymarine website, these are the most recent versions of each component.

As background: I've read through this thread several times regarding AP calibration and setup: http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=99

I've read through this thread related to software updates and what is required for recalibrating the AP: http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=904

The "compass lock" feature has been placed both "on" and "off" during the deviation cruise and I've seen no change in calibration success.

During the Dockside Wizard setup, I did witness the motor turn to port and turn to starboard when prompted (so I know that the pump is working correctly)

The backbone and all spurs are installed per Raymarine instructions/manuals. And noise-suppressing ferrites are installed on both the ACU 5-amp power supply, the 15-amp power supply as well as the pump leads to the ACU.

sidebar question: Can the STng (white) communication cable from the EV-1 be connected to a spur and the spur then connected to the backbone via a STng(blue) cable? Or does the STng (white) cable from the EV-1 need to be fed directly to the backbone? I asked a technician on the 1-800 Raymarine customer support line this same question and he indicated that I could use the STng (blue) cable to connect the spur to the backbone.

FYI - The EV-1 sensor is located 5ft away from the Raymarine Type 1 pump. And 4.5ft away from the starting and house battery. There are no electrical wires/cables near the EV-1 sensor. I have taken a small hand-held compass into the area where the EV-1 is mounted and see no magnetic deviation. Sidebar: When powered-up, the green light on the EV-1 sensor is "lit". Also, the green light on the ACU is also "lit".

So what am I missing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-18, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-18 03:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Ev-150 Deviation Cruise and No Change in "Detecting Magnetics" status
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum GoodChance,

Q1. Can the STng (white) communication cable from the EV-1 be connected to a spur and the spur then connected to the backbone via a STng(blue) cable? Or does the STng (white) cable from the EV-1 need to be fed directly to the backbone? I asked a technician on the 1-800 Raymarine customer support line this same question and he indicated that I could use the STng (blue) cable to connect the spur to the backbone.
A1. The only way that would be acceptable to join a SeaTalkng spur cable to the end of a backbone cable in an in-line manner would be SeaTalkng Spur Cable <-> SeaTalkng Inline Terminator<->SeaTalkng backbone Cable. Like all SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices, the EV-1 CCU is not designed to be connected to a SeaTalkng spur cable (white w/black stripe) and the spur cable then connected to the backbone via a STng backbone (blue w/black stripe) cable. The EV-1 CCU is designed to be interfaced to a spur socket (white) within a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. FYI - The EV-1 sensor is located 5ft away from the Raymarine Type 1 pump. And 4.5ft away from the starting and house battery. There are no electrical wires/cables near the EV-1 sensor. I have taken a small hand-held compass into the area where the EV-1 is mounted and see no magnetic deviation. Sidebar: When powered-up, the green light on the EV-1 sensor is "lit". Also, the green light on the ACU is also "lit". So what am I missing?
A2. I would recommend that the system is installed as specified within my response to Q1 and that you verify that the EV-1 CCU has been installed level to the waterline and that its LED arrow is pointed toward the bow. If so, then it would then be recommended that the vessel be taken out again and that the deviation cruise within the operating conditions listed be performed and that the diameter of the figure eight's circles be no less than 100 yards. Should the problem persist, then please note that when the vessel is turned through 360 degrees, that the autopilot's control head be observed to note that it is reporting heading changes through 360 degrees with no stoppage.
05-03-18, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-18 12:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I wanted to update this thread for other users who might be having similar problems to mine. My problem is resolved.

What my problem in failing to calibrate was the lack of a "speed input" to the ACU. The EV-150 must have a speed input in order to successfully calibrate (although I understand that you can manually force the calibration without a speed input). I purchased a 1m spur cable, a 1 meter backbone cable and a spur terminal and connected the a98 MFD to the backbone ....... and within 30 seconds, I was successfully calibrated.
05-03-18, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-18 04:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
GoodChance,

Please excuse my oversight, as I had apparently incorrectly assumed that you had interfaced the MFD to the autopilot. As you specified, the Evolution autopilots is recommended to be interfaced to a source of GPS SOG or Speed Through Water (Speed) data. This is covered in Chapter 2.2 Product overview of the Evolution EV-1 and ACU Installation and Operation Instructions
Recommended:
• Compatible speed data source. The autopilot uses
speed data when making calculations relating
to navigation. As a minimum, this information
must come from a GNSS receiver providing SOG
(Speed Over Ground) data, or ideally from a
dedicated speed sensor.

if the Speed Input configuration setting is configured to AUTO, a source of speed or SOG data is required to complete detection of magnetics. In cases where the autopilot will not be interfaced to a source of speed or SOG data, the Speed Input configuration setting should be configured to CRUISE SPEED.

If interfaced to a Speed through water sensor, care must be taken to ensure that the Speed through Water Sensor is functioning correctly and has been properly calibrated. As speed through water sensors will permit the autopilot to monitor leeway, this type of speed will permit the highest level of performance. Should the vessel's speed through water source not meet these criteria, then the Speed Input setting should be configured to SOG.