Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] General Observations on new Axioms system
08-31-18, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 09:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] General Observations on new Axioms system
I would like to share my observations and suggestions based on my new Axiom based system.

I replaced the E120 and E80 on my sailboat with the an Axiom based system, incorporating an Axiom 12 Pro at the helm and an Axiom 9 below along with a Quantum 2 Doppler radar. I kept the SPX autopilot system as well as my wind, depth and speed instruments, converting the Seatalk data to be compatible with the new system.

The system was professionally installed. While I am capable of doing it the pros are much better and they upgraded much wiring and fusing along the way. Improved things I didn't know needed improving.

In its maiden voyage 5 or 6 weeks ago, I sailed 6-7 hours to Provincetown from Boston in pea soup fog with near zero visibility, really testing the system and well as myself even before I was familiar with the new equipment.

Here are my comments:

QUANTUM 2 DOPPLER RADAR- Really good! The Doppler radar shows targets coming towards you in vivid red so you really are alert to them. Boats heading away are in green or in basic radar color. Its a great safety feature. The radar picked up tiny boats as well as all others. Using the touch screen or the cursor it is very easy to set up targets to track. I used this feature over and over. The simplicity and intuitiveness helps much.

With the integration with my AIS you see most of the dangerous and not dangerous boat traffic.

AXIOM PRO 12- the large display at the helm is wonderful especially because you can display radar and charts on large separate windows. There are multitude of window combinations available. The size and resolution make them all very readable.

I use routes all the time and it is much easier to enter routes and to follow them than older systems. I like the "follow from here" and the arrows on the routes. Much easier with fewer opportunities for errors.

Auto routing by Navionics is OK but puts in too many waypoints and makes mistakes. Good to start laying out a route but must always be carefully edited.

The Axiom speed in zooming in and out and moving the cursor across the charts is a vast improvement over the old E120 and E80. Makes planning easier. Plus the Axioms use much less power.

I use the Axiom at the nav station to enter routes and way points while underway as well as to watch progress while someone else is at the helm. Especially nice in wet or chilly weather.

DATA BARS The data bars are very helpful and have the nice feature that either by a hand swipe to by pressing the cursor button they are removed (or returned) to the screen. Makes it easy to get to a full screen when you need it.

SPX AUTO PILOT- As long as you use the control head that came with the SPX autopilot you can have all the controls, Standby, Auto, Track etc. however, the auto pilot cannot be controlled through the Axiom. I do not find this a disadvantage.

Fusion Radio- I love it.

Overall great upgrade taking advantage of amazing new technologies.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-18, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 09:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] General Observations on new Axioms system
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Carl,

We're glad to learn of your successes and recommendations.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply