Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] What else to buy
05-05-18, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 07:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] What else to buy
Hi I need some help, I am updating my sailboat and want to ensure that I order all required cables, devices etc. I shall be fitting the equipment in a fairly remote area I want to ensure that I have everything, it has been hard to establish exactly what is in each box.
I am going to purchase:

2 x Axiom 9" MFDs 1x inside, 1x outside
EV-400 auto pilot
Quantum radar with 15m pwr and data cable
I50 &I60 Wind/speed/depth value pack
2 x I70 multifunction displays. 1x near i50&i60. Other 1m from inside MFD
AIS undecided, leaning towards Vesper xd8000 for anchor alarms, suggestions welcome, like the idea of this being WiFi.
Have B&G V50 radio, would like to connect to network. 1m from MFD

What additional cables, devices shall I need?

I am debating whether to get one Axiom with the down-vision option, should I worry about this feature? The only reason for this is if I want it upgrade sonar later??
Is there a possibility that in the future there could be a forward looking sonar? Would that warrant getting the downvision option?

Thank you in advance.
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-18, 09:17 PM
RE: [CA] What else to buy
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Chris,

Please excuse this late response. The challenge with gathering the requested parts list is that the cable runs for all boats differ. Accordingly, while we can specify how the equipment is designed to be interfaced and what networking accessories are provided within their packages, it will ultimately be up to the installer/owner to determine the correct cable lengths required.

Please click here to view a related FAQ addressing this subject.

As Axiom MFDs feature only one Ethernet communications interface and three devices requiring Ethernet communications will be installed, it will be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Each of the MFDs will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The Quantum Data Cable will likewise be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for networking MFDs and instruments in binnacle mounted pods. A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed onboard the vessel having sufficient number of spur sockets to permit each of the following devices to be interfaced as an individual spur to the backbone:

- The MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD. Please click here to view a related FAQ addressing this subject. The NMEA 2000 interface of Axiom MFDs features a DeviceNet Micro-C male socket, requiring a SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Micro-C adapter to mate the MFD's NMEA 2000 communication interface to a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components. Please click here to view a related FAQ addressing how to connect devices having a DeviceNet Micro-C male socket to a spur socket within a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.

- each i50 instrument ... each feature a SeaTalkng spur socket

- each i60 instrument ... each feature a SeaTalkng spur socket

- each i70 instrument ... each feature a SeaTalkng spur socket

- p70S Autopilot Control Head*

- EV-1 CCU*

- ACU-400*

- each third party product featuring a NMEA 2000 communications interface (i.e. Vesper AIS transceiver, B&G VHF Radio). The third party devices which you have listed appear to also feature a DeviceNet Micro-C male socket.

* Evolution autopilot supplied R70160 Evolution Cable Kit containing the networking components to support interfacing the EV-400 autopilot components to one another and to power the SeaTalkng backbone.

The iTC-5 will be installed as a backbone component. SeaTalkng networking components may be found here.

Q1. I am debating whether to get one Axiom with the down-vision option, should I worry about this feature? The only reason for this is if I want it upgrade sonar later??
A1. While many owners are simply interest in numerical depth data from the marine electronics system, others use fishfinding sonar for bottom trending and bottom hardness information. As an alternative to having a MFD with internal fishfinder sonar circuitry, it is possible to add a DownVision sonar module to the system to achieve the same end.

Q2. Is there a possibility that in the future there could be a forward looking sonar? Would that warrant getting the downvision option?
A2. While anything is possible, Raymarine has not yet announced a forward looking sonar product. Should Raymarine introduce a forward looking sonar, it would not likely be dependent upon internal DownVision fishfinder circuitry within the MFD.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply