Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S-1000 terminology
04-06-16, 02:50 PM
S-1000 terminology
Hi. I'm interfacing my S1000 auto pilot with 741xs ( Garmin duh, I know ).

Do I connect just the GPS "Text out" to the "+ve in" ,or, to the "-ve in"? The GPS harness does not differentiate between "-" and "+" Tx outs/transmits.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-16, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-16 06:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: S-1000 terminology
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Richie,

Unlike most products supporting NMEA 0183 communications protocol, many Garmin products use the Garmin power/data harness's power ground lead to also function as the NMEA 0183 signal reference ... see image below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=139]

To connect the S1000 to the Garmin 741XS harness,
- connect the S1000's +ve in (NMEA 0183 IN+) lead to either the either NMEA 0183 Port 1 TX or Port 2 TX lead of the Garmin 741XS power/data harness
- connect the S1000's -ve in (NMEA 0183 IN-) lead to the Ground (Power & NMEA 0183) lead of the Garmin 741XS power/data harness

See the Garmin 741XS operation manual to ensure that the Garmin 741XS's NMEA 0183 port which has been interfaced to the S1000 has been configured for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-07-16, 11:15 AM
Chuck,

Thank you. After hours of researching other sites throughout the internet, I never found such a clear and complete and simple explanation.

Thank you very much!

Captrichie
06-23-16, 02:02 PM
"connect the S1000's -ve in (NMEA 0183 IN-) lead to the Ground (Power & NMEA 0183) lead of the Garmin 741XS power/data harness"

assuming ( see below) that means connect the GPS messages back TO the S1000 to ground on the same negative panel as the GPS multi purpose ( black ) Ground . As you know , the -ve out ( blue ) if I use the orange +ve in for incoming course data from the GPS (blue color). orange to blue and blue to black (ground).

I made the above connections, went to set-up and within 2 seconds the signal was good so I did the setup test: The pump powers up when press starboard arrows and away it goes. The port, however, is unresponsive . As if polarity to the pump does not reverse.
In your experience what should I check first? Thanks in advance!
Rich
06-23-16, 02:22 PM
Captrichie,

It is unclear how you have interfaced the S1000 to the Garmin product. Please restate how you have interfaced these items and/or attach a photo of a hand rendered diagram to your response.
06-24-16, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 08:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, I'm sorry you found my question unclear. I can could copy page 26 of the s1000 installation manual, and then copy the Garmin 741xs wiring diagram, but you already did that. The + and - ve in connections to the S1000 are clear. I wired it exactly as you instructed, and the setup test only allowed the steering to turn starboard. I thought you might have an idea, that's all.

I reviewed this with the only Yamaha "MASTER" mechanic in the state...and he confirmed the pump and hydraulics were correctly connected", functional, etc.

I was trying to find out if their could be another cause for the computer not to signal " turn to port" ( the S1000 computer)" . The only thing I have to offer is that people should always disconnect both harnesses (the sender and receiver) before doing the delicate connections on such narrow ( AWG 22-26 ) tinted wire.

I greatly appreciate your time. You guys are patient gentlemen/gentlewomen. However, I do think it is possible that the interconnectivity of many different manufacturers products may be a bit overstated, even today. I still recommend going with one or the other.

I was the NMFS representative at the American Fishing Tackle Association's ( new name now, same organization) annual conventions around the Country from 1988- 1998 & had the pleasure of meeting and knowing Daryl Lowrance and the former Raymarine president as well.

I can solve this myself with time and $. I think an objective view is this site is the most productive and friendly on the Inet.
Tight lines.......all friends,
Rich Wheeler ( retired Ex. Dir. Marine Fisheries Advisory Service, NMFS/NOAA)
06-27-16, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 09:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rich,

The only connections which need be made between the Garmin GPS/Chartplotter are those specified previously and stated again below:

- connect the S1000's +ve in (NMEA 0183 IN+) lead to either the either NMEA 0183 Port 1 TX or Port 2 TX lead of the Garmin 741XS power/data harness
- connect the S1000's -ve in (NMEA 0183 IN-) lead to the Ground (Power & NMEA 0183) lead of the Garmin 741XS power/data harness

If connected as indicated, then the autopilot will receive GPS data and navigational data required for it to operate in Auto mode as well as to operate in Track mode (requires that the GPS/chartplotter be commanded to Go To a waypoint/cursor location or to Follow a Route). Please note that when operating in Track mode, the operator must acknowledge that it is safe to turn onto the next course line when entering the arrival circle of each point of a route.

Given the report that the autopilot will only turn to starboard, it is possible that the autopilot's pump or course computer may have experienced a problem. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing addressing how to fault isolate the problem.
12-02-16, 02:52 PM
S-1000 fixable or rebuilt models available?
Hello!
My S 1000 wireless auto pilot's computer has been checked as recommended, "Should the drive unit move the rudder in both directions, then the fault has been isolated to the autopilot's course computer, necessitating that it be serviced or replaced." The drive has polarity, and moves both directions, per the polarity change tests but only moves starboard when connected to course computer. (It moves starboard when I press controller in either direction).

Are the S-1000 computers still being serviced? (The hand held controller the hydraulic pump are in good condition.) Where should the computer be sent for service?

Re: upgrade: I don't need anything but a simple system, (the clover leafs, fig. 8, and circle patterns are nice), however I do not need point to point chart navigation, etc. What would be the most practical way to proceed if the computer cannot be reasonably serviced/repaired? For me, a compass guided autopilot would even work.

(My boat is a Sea Hunt Victory, 22.5, with a single 150 Yamaha 4s and upgraded with offshore Sea-star helm and hydraulics.

Thank you. The s 1000 system is /was so simple and effective it helped me land many fish when nobody could take of work. I fish 3-4 days, April-November- weather permitting.
Respectully, Chaptrichie
12-02-16, 03:00 PM
RE: autopilot wiring
Have you ever experienced "Ground Looping" thru the RF suppression ground wired to a copper thru hull ground with another device using the same boat common ground? Should all grounds be exclusively designated?

Thanks....
12-12-16, 09:11 AM
Rich,

Most dealers/installers are not equipped/trained to render repairs to the autopilot course computers. As Raymarine's Product Repair Center can still render repairs to the S1000, it is recommended that the S1000 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Ground loops such as you have described are unlikely to occur when connecting the drain leads to the vessel's bonding cable unless there is a circuitry fault within the product(s) whose drain leads will be attached to the bonding cable.