Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] MFD choice
05-03-18, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-18 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] MFD choice
Sailboat
I have 2 I50s depth and speed and 1 I 60 wind, alll with ng connections
with an older Garmin GPS
I want to get a 9” MFD, add AIS and in the future replace my old radar with digital. I’m confused about which MFD to buy, and I won’t ever need sonar which seems to be so forward in all the brochures
TIA.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-18, 02:55 PM
RE: [CA] MFD choice
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dennis,

It is generally recommended that customers consider the Axiom Pro 9S MFD for sailboat applications, particularly for blue water sailboat applications where touchscreen operation may be hindered by spray or rain. The Axiom Pro MFDs feature a HybridTouch screen, permitting the MFD's buttons to instead be used should operating conditions not permit use of the MFD's touchscreen. Axiom Pro MFDs also have a front mounted chart reader, permitting easy access to the MFD's memory card reader when changing / updating the chart card's contents or updating the MFD's software ... this can be particularly beneficial for systems having a single pod mounted MFDs.

An AIS350 Receiver or AIS700 Transceiver would be recommended for use with this product.
05-05-18, 11:18 AM
Thank you. I was confused by a,e, etc models i will use the pro
My next questions are what is the difference between a 650 and a 700 AIS, and the wireless radar says it will run on any Lighthouse 2 MFD. is the 3 backwards compatible, so when i do get radar i dont need to worry about that?
Thanks a lot for the help. Trying to make the whole system Raymarine!
05-07-18, 08:10 AM
Dennis,

The AIS700 replaces the AIS650 within Raymarine's AIS transceiver product line. The AIS700 is the functional equivalent of the AIS650 and the AIS700 also feature and built in Class B AIS antenna splitter, eliminating the need for an AIS100 when using the same VHF antenna to support AIS and VHF operation.

Axiom MFDs and Axiom Pro MFDs are designed to run LightHouse 3 software. Additionally, eS-Series and gS-Series MFDs are designed to run either LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software. MFDs running LightHouse 3 software are compatible with all Digital Radomes (retired), HD Digital Radomes, Quantum Radomes, Quantum 2 Radomes, HD Open Array Pedestals, and Super HD Open Array Pedestals which Raymarine has produced.
05-07-18, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 07:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry new question. I’m reading the AIS 700 installation instructions. If I understand correctly I WILL be providing power directly to the AIS separately from the Seatalk ng power supply, although the Seatalk ng instructions say not to. Is this OK because of the provided cable?
05-07-18, 07:38 PM
Dennis,

The AIS700 is neither designed to be powered by a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone nor provide power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The AIS700 must be powered via the Power/NMEA 0183 cable which is packaged with the AIS700.
05-10-18, 10:11 AM
One more! I assume that the Axiom Pro gets its power from the Power cable and Not from the seatalk power supply. I need both? That’s what I read.
05-10-18, 10:17 AM
Dennis

Q1. One more! I assume that the Axiom Pro gets its power from the Power cable and Not from the seatalk power supply. I need both? That’s what I read.
A1. Correct!