Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Bridging NMEA 0183 data to STng using an E80 Classic
05-10-18, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-18 01:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Bridging NMEA 0183 data to STng using an E80 Classic
I have a wide variety of data coming into the E80 via the 0183 connection and it seems to be showing up on the E80 as expected. I'm then connecting the E80 to the STng network using an E80 to STng cable (A06061). I have another STng cable connected to a STng Tee (stripped at one end) that is connected to a vYacht router/bridge (white, blue and shield connected to the NMEA 2000 input).
The nmea 2000 data that is showing up at the vYacht router is quite different from the nmea 0183 data that is going into the E80. All the data from the nmea 2000 is showing up as $GPxxx where if I look at the 0183 data using the nmea out of the E80, it is a variety of $SD, $EC, $VW data. That in itself isn't bad except the $GP data (mnea 2000) is inconsistent and creates erratic values on my PC.

Q1: Can you provide a list of the nmea 0183 sentence formatters that the E80 is able to send out through the STng connection (PGNs)? I'm thinking there must be a list of cross references between 0183 and 2000.
Q2: Eventually the data going into the E80 will arrive via the ST1 connection instead of the 0183 connection. Does this have any effect on nmea 2000 data leaving the E80 on the STng connection?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-18, 01:15 PM
RE: [CA] Bridging NMEA 0183 data to STng using an E80 Classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

Q1: Can you provide a list of the nmea 0183 sentence formatters that the E80 is able to send out through the STng connection (PGNs)? I'm thinking there must be a list of cross references between 0183 and 2000.
A1: Raymarine has not produced documentation specifying the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging features supported in this long retired product. That said, there have been no previously reported problems identified with this communications interface.

Q2: Eventually the data going into the E80 will arrive via the ST1 connection instead of the 0183 connection. Does this have any effect on nmea 2000 data leaving the E80 on the STng connection?
A2: It appears that at least three of the MFD's communications interfaces are being used within your system. In such systems, we generally recommend that the MFD be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and that its interface to all but AIS transceivers and VHF radios be accomplished via the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface. Third party NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging devices (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) are available and generally recommended to support bridging data from NMEA 0183 devices to NMEA 2000. Raymarine's SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) (up to 5 SeaTalk devices per converter) should be used to bridge data from the SeaTalk bus to the NMEA 2000 backbone. Finally, equipment of this vintage will only support a single source of any one type of data (ex. GPS, wind, depth, speed through water, etc.).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply