Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG11] New System EV-200 and Wireless wind
05-14-18, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-18 07:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] New System EV-200 and Wireless wind
I'm very familiar with Raymarine products as I have installed and used them on various sailboats I owned. Most of my racing has been single handed offshore. I have a new light displacement boat and consider the Evolution EV-200 sail as autopilot. Steering using apparent wind and true wind is important. I'm interested in using the wireless wind with the Microtalk gateway. Is this system more accurate than the wired wind?

The T70347 (i70s, T120, DST800 and Microtalk wireless) package is very interesting. It seems to be a great combination. I will expand with 2x T215 displays and EV-200 autopilot.

There is also a T70349 system which include the EV-1 heading sensor (I don't need this as it comes with the EV-200. It suppose too help to provide wind accuracy and true wind angle calculations. How does this work? The EV-1 is on the backbone. How does the wind instrument or autopilot receives corrected wind data? Wouldn't it just get the wind data from the wind unit? How does the EV-1 change this data, or is there a new wind value published?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dirk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-18, 07:30 AM
RE: [DG11] New System EV-200 and Wireless wind
Hi Dirk,
Thank you for your enquiry.

The Wireless Wind sensor and the wired wind sensor, are both accurate and in practice there is little to choose between them in terms of performance. The primary differences are associated with the obvious installation differences. the benefits of the Wireless system lie within the more advanced sailracing features and calculations for corrected wind displayed.

The calculated data is calculated locally, so having accurate heading information allows the additional data to be calculated locally on each display. For example, TRUE wind can use GPS and Heading data - provided it is available on the network - if the sensors, ie EV1 are not available to give heading data, then the displays cannot calculate the data and so will not display it.

I hope this helps?
Regards
Derek
05-24-18, 04:09 PM
Perfect. Thanks for the clarification. I ordered the complete system and I'm looking forward to the experience.

Dirk
05-31-18, 05:58 AM
Hi dhusselman

You're welcome

Derek