Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA11] System Diagram and Questions Submitted for Review
05-17-18, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-18 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] System Diagram and Questions Submitted for Review
I have recently purchased the Axiom 9", Quantum 24C, two i70s, one i60, iTC-5 and the EV-200 sail package to upgrade my RL70/ST60/ST5000+ vintage Raymarine equipment. I also have a new Vesper Marine XB 8000 AIS.

I have attached a pdf file format of Power Point diagrams showing the system diagram. There are three slides: 1) overview of system 2) location by area in boat 3) Specifics of wiring diagram with each wire numbered per questions.

Below are a list of questions:
1. What problems do you see with the overall schematic diagram?
2. Do you have any suggestions for improvement?
3. Are devices such as Axiom, Quantum, i70s, i60, and P70s individually fused within unit? The ACU 200 has a 20 amp fuse to drive unit and 3 amp if used for power to STNG backbone. What about other devices? Otherwise, I plan to fuse as shown on the breakers for each device.
4. The VHF and the AIS will be separately fused with in-line fuses off the single VHF circuit breaker.
5. The NMEA data cable as part of the power cable for Axiom and a A06045 (DeviceNet (Female) Adaptor Cable (0.4m)) is long enough to reach the 5-way connector(#6) – Wire #1 in Wiring Details. However, a A06045 (DeviceNet (Female) Adaptor Cable (0.4m)) is not long enough to connect the NMEA 2000 on the Vesper AIS to the 5-way (#8). What is the Raymarine part number for the male STNG spur on one end and female STNG spur on the other that will allow me to connect the A06045 to the 5-way (#8)?
6. For the Quantum 24C radar, I first plan to test if WiFi will work from mast to Axiom mounted in Navpod on pedestal guard at helm. If this does not work, what is the Raymarine part number (R32142?) for the connector (#21) extending another Raynet cable (A80005? for 5 meters) from the connector to the Ethernet connection on the Axiom?
7. Do you recommend putting a light layer of a dielectric on each of the flat female ends of STNG backbone and spurs before connecting to the respective male end?
8. I assume if you provide power to the STNG backbone as I have shown with a “T” connection, then you flip the “dip” switch on the ACU 200 to off and only data will go through that spur connection to the backbone

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Upgrade Schematic Diagrams - Overview Locations and Wiring.pptx.pdf (Size: 403.39 KB / Downloads: 606)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-18, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-18 11:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] System Diagram and Questions Submitted for Review
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bill,

General notes:
- iTC-5 does not convert ST to STng. The iTC-5 converts analog instrument signal to SeaTalkng instrument data.
- If Quantum radome is installed with a Quantum Data Cable or Digital Radar Cable, then the MFD will be unable to communicate with the Quantum Radome via Wi-Fi if the MFD senses this cabled connection.
- Ensure that the ACU's SeaTalkng Power Switch is moved to the OFF position

Q1. What problems do you see with the overall schematic diagram?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing best practices for chasing cables through binnacle/pedestal tubes. The only change which I would recommend is to install a T-Piece to connect the MFD to the backbone within the MFD's pod and to move the 5-Way connector to the instrument pod per the referenced FAQ.

Q2. Do you have any suggestions for improvement?
A2. See the General Notes above.

Q3a. Are devices such as Axiom, Quantum, i70s, i60, and P70s individually fused within unit?
A3a. Negative.

Q3b. The ACU 200 has a 20 amp fuse to drive unit and 3 amp if used for power to STNG backbone. What about other devices? Otherwise, I plan to fuse as shown on the breakers for each device.
A3b. The circuits supplying devices which are designed to be powered via a SeaTalkng backbone will be protected by the fuse/breaker which has been connected to the SeaTalkng Power Cable. See the General Notes addressing the ACU-200's SeaTalkng Power Switch. The MFD's Power/NMEA 0183 Cable features an inline fuse for the MFD.

Q4. The VHF and the AIS will be separately fused with in-line fuses off the single VHF circuit breaker.
A4. Noted.

Q5. The NMEA data cable as part of the power cable for Axiom and a A06045 (DeviceNet (Female) Adaptor Cable (0.4m)) is long enough to reach the 5-way connector(#6) – Wire #1 in Wiring Details. However, a A06045 (DeviceNet (Female) Adaptor Cable (0.4m)) is not long enough to connect the NMEA 2000 on the Vesper AIS to the 5-way (#8). What is the Raymarine part number for the male STNG spur on one end and female STNG spur on the other that will allow me to connect the A06045 to the 5-way (#8)?
A5. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q6. For the Quantum 24C radar, I first plan to test if WiFi will work from mast to Axiom mounted in Navpod on pedestal guard at helm. If this does not work, what is the Raymarine part number (R32142?) for the connector (#21) extending another Raynet cable (A80005? for 5 meters) from the connector to the Ethernet connection on the Axiom?
Q6. Both Quantum Data Cables and Digital Radar Cables (the latter supports power and data within a single cable) are terminated on the MFD side with a RayNet (F) Connector. A A80162 RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner would then be used to mate either of these cables to an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q7. Do you recommend putting a light layer of a dielectric on each of the flat female ends of STNG backbone and spurs before connecting to the respective male end?
A7. This is generally not necessary, but shouldn't cause any harm. When SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors, SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters, VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter, or T-Pieces are installed, it is considered to be a best practice to install these items with their spur sockets oriented down or perpendicular to a vertical bulkhead.

Q8. I assume if you provide power to the STNG backbone as I have shown with a “T” connection, then you flip the “dip” switch on the ACU 200 to off and only data will go through that spur connection to the backbone
A8. Correct. See the General Note above.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply