Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA11] WHICH CARD READER
05-22-18, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-18 10:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] WHICH CARD READER
Hello all,

I am in the process of installing an AXIOM 12 to replace the old E120. Since it is going to be a pain in the butt to access the card reader slot on the back of the Axiom I am thinking about installing a Card Reader Extension. There are two made by Raymarine and would like to know which one is more convenient to have. These are A80218 Rcr-2 Dual Micro SD Remote Card Reader and the A80440 Rcr-Single SdUsb Card Reader.

So, is there an advantage in having two micro SD cards connected to the Axiom?

Could I use for instance both Lighthouse charts & Navionics Platinum +?

Or, if I have the Navionics in one slot, could I then use the other slot for updates?

Or, there simply isn’t any advantage in having 2 slots because only one could be used at a time?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-18, 10:29 AM
Music RE: [CA11] WHICH CARD READER
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rarambarri,

Q1. So, is there an advantage in having two micro SD cards connected to the Axiom?
A1. Yes. Having a second microSD card reader slot will permit the MFD to be used with a second chart card or a chart card and a data card simultaneously.

Q2. Could I use for instance both Lighthouse charts & Navionics Platinum +?
A2. Yes

Q3. Or, if I have the Navionics in one slot, could I then use the other slot for updates?
A3. Yes. See the response to Q1.

Q4. Or, there simply isn’t any advantage in having 2 slots because only one could be used at a time?
Q4. N/A - see the response to Q1.
05-23-18, 01:36 PM
RE: [CA11] WHICH CARD READER
Thank you Chuck, sorry to bother you so much, but......

Does this mean that I can keep the Navionics in the Axiom's back Card Reader Slot and use the A80440 for updates to both the Navionics and Axiom?

Thanks
05-23-18, 02:13 PM
rarambarri,

It is certainly possible to utilize both the MFD's microSD memory card reader and a RCR. However, Navionics cartography may only be updated via one of the following methods:
- the Navionics chart card is interfaced to a computer and its contents are then updated using Navionics' Chart Installer application.
- a mobile device running the Navionics Boating app with an active Freshest Data subscription has connected to the MFD's Wi-Fi communications interface and the Navionics Boating app has been commanded to synchronize chart data with the MFD's chart card. This feature is commonly referred to as Plotter Synch. More information on this subject may be found within the attachment to the FAQ found here.
05-23-18, 02:39 PM
Thank you Chuck for clarifying all my doubts
05-23-18, 04:19 PM
You're welcome.
09-14-18, 10:08 AM
If I want to run Navionics and the NOAA/CHS Raycharts, do I need slots for 2 SD cards? In the past this is how I have done it on e series MFDs. The cards are plenty big enough to hold both, but I've been reluctant to write to the Navionics chart card.

My installation is an Axiom 12. If I use a SD/USB card reader (A80440) then I'll have only one SD card slot. I'd prefer to run all the charts from that slot, keeping the USB slot free to upload routes, updates, etc. However if I must have 2 SD slots to run both the Navionics and Raycharts, then I'd use the A80218, and transfer the updates and files with that.

Related, is if possible to run Raycharts from a USB drive plugged into the A80440, or a USB SD card reader plugged into same?
09-14-18, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jfitch,

It is indeed technically possible to install LightHouse Charts into the root level directory of a Navionics chart card to permit a single microSD memory card containing one's LightHouse and Navionics cartography to be used with the MFD. However, the Navionics chart card must have sufficient unused memory to accommodate the LightHouse Charts to be installed onto the microSD memory card by the LightHouse Charts Manager program.

It is not possible to run Raycharts from a USB drive plugged into the A80440.
06-08-19, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-19 12:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Is there a link to these devices?
06-10-19, 12:18 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum b4a,

Minor accessories such as the remote card readers are listed on Raymarine's website, but may not have a web page dedicated to them. Such is the case for the A80218 RCR-2 Remote Card Reader and the A80440 RCR - Remote SD Card Reader and USB Socket which has replaced the RCR-2 Remote Card Reader. Raymarine has limited inventory remaining of the RCR-2 Remote Card Reader which may be ordered from an Authorized Raymarine Dealer.