Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG11] MFD not discovering other STNG data (...is preventing data source connection)
05-27-18, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-18 10:56 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] MFD not discovering other STNG data (...is preventing data source connection)
Help!. I have recently acquired a yacht with 2014 Raymarine instruments: ACU 200 pilot, 2x P70s, DTS 800 sounder/log, ITC-5 connecting wind, 3x A65 MFDs. All worked fine until the previous owner asked me to delete his info on the MFDs. I also wanted to move these. Now, reconnected to the backbone, the MFDs show the message 'E22158 SeaTalk STNG Converter.... is preventing data source connection' and refers me to the user manual. The P70s are seeing the wind transducer but the MFDs are not. I have treble checked the layout of connections and all seems OK. I have read both A65 MFD and ITC-5 manuals and can't find any help. Might there be a software version incompatibility problem? But why did the system work before? Any ideas would be most welcome. Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-18, 11:07 PM
RE: [TG11] MFD not discovering other STNG data (...is preventing data source connection)
Hello Richard,

This is a common misconception. The Data Source selection is only used if you have more than one source of a particular type of data (e.g. two GPS receivers) AND you need to select between those sources. In all other circumstances, you don't need to go in there. The MFD will read whatever's available without having to go in there.

IF you do find that you need to do source selection, you can do so after updating the software in your ST1-STNG convertor (earlier software didn't support data source selection) through your MFD.

If your displays aren't showing any STNG data, the problem is probably that you have the wrong one configured as the Data Master (only the Master reads or transmits STNG data.) The display that's configured as the Data Master needs to be connected to STNG, other displays don't need to be, though we recommend that we are for redundancy.

If you want to do diagnostics and find out what's on the network, that's in Home > Setup > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Select Device.

If the displays are doing something else (e.g. partial or incorrect data), please let me know exactly what is going on.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-30-18, 01:29 PM
RE: [TG11] MFD not discovering other STNG data (...is preventing data source connection)
(05-28-18 11:07 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello Richard,

This is a common misconception. The Data Source selection is only used if you have more than one source of a particular type of data (e.g. two GPS receivers) AND you need to select between those sources. In all other circumstances, you don't need to go in there. The MFD will read whatever's available without having to go in there.

IF you do find that you need to do source selection, you can do so after updating the software in your ST1-STNG convertor (earlier software didn't support data source selection) through your MFD.

If your displays aren't showing any STNG data, the problem is probably that you have the wrong one configured as the Data Master (only the Master reads or transmits STNG data.) The display that's configured as the Data Master needs to be connected to STNG, other displays don't need to be, though we recommend that we are for redundancy.

If you want to do diagnostics and find out what's on the network, that's in Home > Setup > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Select Device.

If the displays are doing something else (e.g. partial or incorrect data), please let me know exactly what is going on.

Regards,
Tom