Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG11] Installation of EV 100 with older ST60+ depth and speed instruments
05-28-18, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-18 07:01 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Installation of EV 100 with older ST60+ depth and speed instruments
I have purchased a new EV100 autopilot system to replace an older Raymarine autopilot. Two years ago I added an i60 wind pack.

With the installation of the new EV100 system (EV1 and ACU), I plan on rewiring all of the instruments to ensure wiring is updated and compatible. Essentially this means using a new Sea Talk backbone and connecting all of the instruments to the backbone. The EV1 and ACU installation document contains a great diagram on page 18 showing the connection I plan on using.

My question however is whether I can simply connect the older ST60+ instruments to the backbone as shown in the diagram on page 18, or whether I need to connect the older instruments as shown on page 26 of the p70 and p70R installation manual? At present, the older ST60+ instruments are connected to each other as shown on page 26 of the p70 manual. However, this page 26 reference seems to apply to a different system as the course computer supplies the power to the instruments whereas the new EV100 information specifically says the ACU does NOT supply the power to the other instruments and that there has to be separate power to the instruments and the ACU. This would seem to imply therefore that I should follow page 18 of the EV1 and ACU installation manual.

If all works out, I hope the new EV100 will interface with the i60 wind pack so that the autopilot will work under wind direction using the i60.

Just looking for some clarification.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-18, 07:09 PM
RE: [TG11] Installation of EV 100 with older ST60+ depth and speed instruments
Hello choroj,

I can't comment on specific drawings in the installation manual because I think I'm looking at a different issue of the manual - the document 87180-4 that I'm looking at has no drawing on p18. However:

ST60/ST60+ use Seatalk1, not SeatalkNG. You need a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor (part E22158 for a kit, R52131 for the bare convertor only, see http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=400...7&col=1597 for details). The ST1-STNG convertor becomes part of the STNG backbone (connected in via a backbone cable), whilst you connect the supplied ST1 cable to any free ST1 port in the existing ST60 system.

You need a single power supply to the combined ST1-STNG network: the convertor passes this power through. You will already have power on ST1, so don't also supply power on the STNG side (do not connect the STNG red cable.) The ACU100 will require its own power as it draws too much to be powered from STNG, but it won't pass that power through to STNG (larger ACUs can, the ACU100 won't.)

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply