Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG11] Smart Pilot X-5 Wheel Pilot
05-27-18, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-18 06:50 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Smart Pilot X-5 Wheel Pilot
Is it possible to remove the fluxgate compass from this system, connect SeaTalkng from the X-5 course computer to an established NMEA 2000 and install the 9-axis EV Sensor Core to replace the fluxgate?

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-18, 06:59 PM
RE: [TG11] Smart Pilot X-5 Wheel Pilot
Hello Metta Marine,

No, I'm sorry to say you can't do that: the EV1 is an autopilot course computer in its own right and your system won't react well/predictably to having two course computers installed.
We don't recommend trying to use external heading on an SPX pilot because although the EV gives very accurate heading data, using any external heading source disables some aspects of the SPX's steering algorithm which rely on the integration of the analogue fluxgate and rate-gyro data within the SPX. In addition, NMEA2000 heading is only 10Hz which actually isn't all that fast if you're trying to operate a pilot from it.

I'd keep using the fluxgate until it's time to replace the SPX.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply