Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading from an E80 to Axiom 12
06-01-18, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-18 03:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading from an E80 to Axiom 12
I have an E80 mounted on my sailboat's binnacle plus A/P ST6000+ and ST 60 depth, wind and speed instruments of that era connected to the E80 via seatalk.

I am going upgrade to an Axiom 12 (plus a radar) but I want to keep all the old instruments and A/P. It seems to me all I need is a single converter that converts the sea talk to Raymarine's version of nmea2000 and its output feeds the chart plotter. If that is so, what converter do I use? Where in the sea talk chain should I install the converter?

I plan on using the same A/P head that I have now..

Also, I am not sure wether to add a Sirius weather capability. I might want it later on. Is there anything I should add now that will make it easier to add Sirius later?

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-18, 03:51 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading from an E80 to Axiom 12
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Carl,

ST6000+ is the product name given to an autopilot control head. Which model of autopilot course computer is presently installed onboard the boat?
06-04-18, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 09:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
It is an SPX. Not sure whether it is s 10 or 30.
06-04-18, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 09:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
carlmk,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of an E-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom MFD. As you have SeaTalk instruments and a compatible (w/ST-STng Converter) autopilot course computer which has been interfaced an autopilot control head having a SeaTalk communications interface, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to interfaced the ST60 Instruments and SPX autopilot course computer (to continue being installed as a SeaTalk device), and ST6000+ autopilot control head to the Axiom MFD. Please see the SeaTalk section (included link to corresponding FAQ) of the FAQ referenced above regarding how to interface your legacy Raymarine products to the system. The SPX autopilot course computer's SeaTalkng Power Switch should also be configured to the OFF position.

As Axiom MFDs feature a single Ethernet communications port, should a wired data connection to the Quantum radome be planned, then it would be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch, to which the MFD, Quantum radome, and SR150 SiriusXM Satellite Weather / Radio Receiver would each be interfaced.
06-04-18, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 04:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am going to have two Axiom Pros, one at the binnacle and one down below plus a Quantum 2 Doppler radar. I think the Axiom Pros have two Raynet Ports. Is the Radar connected to the binnacle Axiom by a Raynet cable and then that Axiom connected to the Axiom down below by a second RayNet cable? Is the HS5 Raynet Network switch to provide me with one more connection such as for the Sirius radio?

Is it better to convert my ST 60 transducers to NMEA2000 with an ITC5 Converter or to convert the SeaTalk data to NMEA 200 by a converter?

Is there a diagram available?

Thanks again for your help. I am slowly getting there.
06-05-18, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-18 08:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
carlmk,

Q1. Is the Radar connected to the binnacle Axiom by a Raynet cable and then that Axiom connected to the Axiom down below by a second RayNet cable?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing binnacle pod installations. Your initial post indicated that Axiom MFDs were being considered rather than Axiom Pro MFDs. As indicated within my initial response, the Axiom MFDs feature a single Ethernet communications socket. While Axiom Pro MFDs feature a pair of Ethernet communications sockets, a best installation practice for sailing vessels is to include a HS5 RayNet Network Switch within the system to not only reduce the number of cables chased through the binnacle tubes, but also to permit the MFD at the navigation station to have access to radar should the MFD in the cockpit be switched OFF.

Q2. Is the HS5 Raynet Network switch to provide me with one more connection such as for the Sirius radio?
A2. Should the Axiom MFDs be chosen rather than Axiom Pro MFDs as indicated within your latest post, then a HS5 RayNet Network Switch must be installed at the MFDs will have an insufficient number of Ethernet communications sockets to support interfacing any other compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface.

Q3. Is it better to convert my ST 60 transducers to NMEA2000 with an ITC5 Converter or to convert the SeaTalk data to NMEA 200 by a converter?
A3. The advantage of using an iTC-5 is that more cables may be removed from the binnacle tubes and that multi-point speed calibration will be supported. However, an i70S MFID would need to be installed to support calibration of the instrument transducers and set alarms associated with the data from these transducers. The ST60 instruments and autopilot would be interfaced to the new system via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been previously specified.

Q4. Is there a diagram available?
A4. Unfortunately, we don't have the bandwidth to produce custom diagrams. A sample diagram of SeaTalkng networking may be found here. Searching this Forum's System Diagrams category for the key words "sample system diagram" will provide a list of several FAQs including sample system diagrams. When searching for a diagram, please not the Axiom Pro MFDs are fundamentally the same as c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs when it comes to Ethernet communications, SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, and NMEA 0183 communications.
06-05-18, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-18 09:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you very much. It is all becoming clear now and I particularly like the suggestions to limit the number of cables through the binnacle tubes.
06-05-18, 09:03 AM
You're welcome.