Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New Axiom 9" with ST6001 Autopilot
06-09-18, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-18 01:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] New Axiom 9" with ST6001 Autopilot
Hello, I just installed a new Axiom 9" with real view, it works great! However I can't seem to get my original autopilot to work. I purchased the converter to allow my Axiom unit to talk to my original ST6001 autopilot through seatalk. for some reason I can't get it to work properly and I've tried everything.

I can't get the autopilot to calibrate and read direction properly, I tested the fluxgate compass, it was within spec after testing but not perfect so I ordered and installed a new one, that didn't help, it still wouldn't calibrate and read proper direction. So then I figured it must be the computer so I purchased a tested S1 autopilot computer and replaced my original, that didn't fix it. The crazy thing is that it worked when I had my original C120 in place before I installed the new Axiom unit.

Any ideas? Is there a way for me to ensure the Axiom unit is properly communicating with the ST6001 autopilot? Would it calibrate properly if it wasn't? I'm getting tired of doing circles.... Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-18, 01:41 PM
RE: [CA11] New Axiom 9" with ST6001 Autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jefreg,

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates would be required to interface the Axiom MFD to the autopilot. This should be verified via the Diagnostics feature within the MFD's software and if the ST-STng Converter's software is determined to not be the latest, then the ST-STng Converter's software should be updated accordingly via the Axiom MFD.

I strongly suspect that there is an issue with the autopilot's fluxgate, the autopilot's course computer, the calibration turning speed is too fast or the autopilot's fluxgate is being exposed to a large magnetic field from a nearby object. One may verify communications between the autopilot and the MFD by configuring the MFD to display the Heading data item within a Data overlay, Sidebar, or Dashboard panel and then verifying that the value reported by the MFD is the same value as that reported by the autopilot's control head. One may also put to rest any thoughts that the MFD is interfering with the autopilot's functionality by simply unplugging the MFD's NMEA 2000 Spur Cable from either the MFD's NMEA 2000 Socket or from the backbone's spur socket.
06-13-18, 03:36 PM
RE: [CA11] New Axiom 9" with ST6001 Autopilot
Please see the message sent to you earlier today.