Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
06-06-18, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-18 10:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
Hi all,

1) I have an old NAV/398 GPS NMEA 0183 version 1 protocol. GPS works fine. Manual shows Yellow data output (+), and Green data output (-).

2) I Just bought a new Standard Horizon Eclipse GX1300 DSC class D VHF Radio NMEA 0183 version 2 protocol. Manual & visual shows Yellow input (+), Green input (-).

3) I want to connect new radio with old GPS with the 2 wires to have Digital Selective Calling. Appears both units are compatible.

4) All my instruments are located on pedestal/console at the helm.

5) I took off the instrument panel that has all the sea talk instruments. I can't reach down far enough to see where the GPS connection terminals are. It's like 3 ft down and hidden with wires.

6) I can see and unplug (unscrew) the GPS input.

7) My Question: How can I splice the two GPS yellow & green wires to my radio yellow and green wires. Remember I only have access where GPS is plug in. I can only reach to a foot to make a connection.

8) So what kind of connectors/splicers can I use to make this work. So when I go to the marine electronics store. The know what I'm talking about?

Attached is photos.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-18, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-18 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum friscoron,

Raymarine does not offer any matching connectors which may be used for the purposes which you are seeking. In spite of the physical challenges in accessing the cable, it will be necessary to gain such access along the cables's length. Once access to the cable is gained the cable may be cut to access its internal leads. In such situations, the cable's will typically be rejoined using a Raymarine D108 Junction Box. Within this junction box, the NAV398's NMEA 0183 OUT+ lead (yellow) will be joined to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead. Additionally within this junction box, the NAV398's NMEA 0183 OUT- lead (green) will be joined to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN- lead.

Should access be too challenging, it may be more time/cost effective to simply install a relatively inexpensive GPS sensor supporting 4800 BAUD communications (ex. Digital Yacht GPS150, etc.) to support the GPS data needs of the third party DSC VHF radio.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply