Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] PROBLEM WITH ES97
06-09-18, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-18 01:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] PROBLEM WITH ES97
I have an ES97, CP370 Quantum Radar, P70r, RS-150, EV-1, ACU200 and
Ray70. Everything has been working great and then about 1 hour into my trip today I suddenly start getting alarms - no heading, no AIS, etc. It seems the Seatalk network dropped out from the ES97 and it could not communicate with the RS-150(No GPS), or the Ray70(NO AIS) or the P70R(No Autopilot). However, The P70R was working just fine and communicating with the ACU200, EV-1 and the RS-150 (shows active). I checked the cable and it was fine. I tuned the unit off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on again. Everything started working again, but then a few minutes later - same thing. I tried unplugging the RS-150 - same thing happened. I tried unplugging the Ray-70 - same thing happened.

Is there anything else I should try? My gut tells me that my ES97 has gone bad for the third time...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-18, 01:34 PM
RE: [CA11] PROBLEM WITH ES97
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum DFMott,

SeaTalkng communications circuitry failures are a relatively rare occurrence within Raymarine products. It is recommended that the backbone be inspected to ensure that two, and only two SeaTalkng termination plugs have been installed within the backbone, one within each of the backbone's two end sockets. Each of the spur cables should then be unplugged from the spur socket of the backbone and device, re-seated in the sockets, and the locking rings located into the locked position. The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking components should also be inspected for any signs of damage or modification and replaced if any is evident. When powering a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, it is considered a best installation practice to power the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone with a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been connected to a dedicated, switched 12VDC power circuit and has then been connected to a spur socket located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. If so, then verify that the SeaTalkng Power Switch of the ACU-200 has been switched OFF. We don't generally recommend using an ACU-200 as the power source for a SeaTalkng backbone featuring more than one device in addition to the autopilot's components.

Verify that all product drain leads / terminal have been addressed per the FAQ found here.

As the system features more than one source of GPS data, it is recommended that the MFD's Data Sources feature be exercised to manually specify that the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor be used as the system's data source for GPS data as well as for date/time data. The system should then be connected to shore power and the batteries be permitted to fully charge. After attaining a fully charged state and while still connected to shore power, the system should be tested in a quiet ship state (all other electrical systems, engines, generators, inverters, etc. switched off. Should the problem persist, then verify that all devices which you have listed have been updated with the latest software. If so and the problem persists and the About System diagnostics feature of the p70 lists all of the other devices on the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply