Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Advice on electronics upgrade (new MFD + Radar from C90W)
06-19-18, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-18 02:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Advice on electronics upgrade (new MFD + Radar from C90W)
On my 2010 Sun Odyssey 36i - used for cruising / sailing - I have an all-Raymarine set of electronics coming from a couple of generations ago: C90W MFD inside, SPX pilot, ST70 tridata + pilot control - all mounted on a Seatalk NG network.

The only thing I've added over time is AIS receiver, via a Standard Horizon integrated VHF, connected to the MFD via NMEA 0183.

I'd like now to add an external MFD in the cockpit, and possibly a radar. I have a few questions if possible:
- what is the recommended MFD series for my setup? Opening Raymarine website I find several different series all current (Axiom, Axiom Pro, ES, GS, etc) but not clear what would be the best one
- are there compatibility issues with the rest of my equipment? Particularly around the AIS connected to the C90W... would I see AIS data on both MFDs? Or would you recommend connecting it in a different way?
- would the radar (quantum or QUantum 2) be visible from both MFD or only from one?
- do I need additional cables in the cockpit for the new MFD or can I connect it via SeaTalkNG from the signal arriving to one of the ST70? (I have an hub in the pedestal)

Thanks in advance for the support
Teo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-18, 03:11 PM
RE: [CA11] Advice on electronics upgrade (new MFD + Radar from C90W)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Teo,

Q1. Ahat is the recommended MFD series for my setup? Opening Raymarine website I find several different series all current (Axiom, Axiom Pro, ES, GS, etc) but not clear what would be the best one
A1. We typically recommend Axiom Pro MFDs for applications where the MFD will be installed within the cockpit of a sailboat.

Q2. Are there compatibility issues with the rest of my equipment? Particularly around the AIS connected to the C90W... would I see AIS data on both MFDs? Or would you recommend connecting it in a different way?
A2. Should the AIS receiver / transceiver and both MFDs each be interface as a spur to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then each would have access to AIS data as well as any other system data supported by the MFDs and which is available on the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. C-Series Widescreen MFDs are not designed to be interfaced to an Ethernet network to which another MFD other than one additional retired C-Series Widescreen MFD had been interfaced, the Axiom Pro MFD would be unable to share any high bandwidth system resources (ex. radar, cartography, fishfinder, camera video, etc.) with the C-Series Widescreen MFD.

Q3. Would the radar (quantum or QUantum 2) be visible from both MFD or only from one?
A3. Negative. Please see the response to Q2.

Q4. Do I need additional cables in the cockpit for the new MFD or can I connect it via SeaTalkNG from the signal arriving to one of the ST70? (I have an hub in the pedestal)
A4. Should a backbone cable have been chased through the pedestal tubes and a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or T-Piece having an unoccupied spur socket be present within the pedestal pod, then the Axiom MFD may indeed be interfaced the currently unoccupied spur socket.
06-20-18, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-18 08:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck,

great answers, really appreciated! Just a couple of follow ups:
- the recommendation of Axiom Pro vs Axiom is related mainly to the HybridyTouch, I'd assume, correct? I've a concern related to size, as the pedestal real estate is limited on a 36' and was considering a 7' Axiom. In case of bad weather, I'd still have available the old one below deck and / or I could use the remote keybord, correct?
- if the AIS receiver is connected to the C90W via NMEA0183, would C90W relay the sentences via the SeatalkNG network?
- yes, I should have a spare socket on the hub (need to double check), but would the Axiom take power from that or do I need to bring separate power?

Thanks again!!
Teo
06-21-18, 08:39 AM
Teo,

Q1a. the recommendation of Axiom Pro vs Axiom is related mainly to the HybridyTouch, I'd assume, correct?
A1a. Correct. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1b. I've a concern related to size, as the pedestal real estate is limited on a 36' and was considering a 7' Axiom. In case of bad weather, I'd still have available the old one below deck and / or I could use the remote keybord, correct?
A1b. Per the FAQ referenced within the response to Q1a, an Axiom MFD may be used with a RMK-9/10 to permit its touchscreen to be deactivated and then support commands initiated via the RMK-9/10.

Q2. if the AIS receiver is connected to the C90W via NMEA0183, would C90W relay the sentences via the SeatalkNG network?
A2. Negative. It is recommended that the AIS receiver/transceiver be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to support use by both MFDs.

Q3. yes, I should have a spare socket on the hub (need to double check), but would the Axiom take power from that or do I need to bring separate power?
A3. Negative. MFDs are designed to be powered via the power cable packaged with the MFD.
06-26-18, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-18 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thanks a lot Chuck, very helpful indeed - appreciated!
06-27-18, 09:09 AM
You're welcome.