Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] SeaTalk ng GPS Output
06-22-18, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-18 01:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] SeaTalk ng GPS Output
I have an e95, networked with three instruments (wind, depth, and multifunction display), radar, and ais. How do I get GPS data out from the network (or one of the devices) to feed to a DSC enabled marine radio?

Thanks

Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-18, 02:05 PM
RE: [CA11] SeaTalk ng GPS Output
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

If nothing is presently interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 may be configured to "NMEA 4800" and the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port output leads (OUT+ (yellow) and OUT- (brown)) may be interfaced to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 input leads/terminals (IN+ and IN- respectively). An alternative method of having the system supply GPS data to a VHF radio may be found here.
06-28-18, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-18 08:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Maybe I'm not understanding the reply - but my radio only has an input for GPS data and not for NMEA. It only has NMEA out, but not in. So, don't I need to get GPS data out from the SeaTalkng network that I have?

Tom
06-28-18, 08:33 AM
Tom,

This is a common mistake for those unfamiliar with the actual communications supported by the VHF radio. In an attempt to make it easier for those interfacing a VHF radio to a source of GPS data, some manufacturers have substituted the text "GPS IN+" and "GPS IN-" on the labels attached to the VHF radio for the text "NMEA 0183 IN+" and "NMEA 0183 IN-" respectively. If so, then the previously stated instructions may be changed to read as follows: he MFD's NMEA 0183 Port output leads (OUT+ (yellow) and OUT- (brown)) may be interfaced to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 input leads/terminals ("GPS IN+" and "GPS IN-" respectively).