Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] st60 tridata trans to C80 MFD
06-25-18, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-18 01:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] st60 tridata trans to C80 MFD
Good morning, first post for me, so it may be a bit long.I will admit I have trouble understanding this tech stuff.

Installed instruments all about 2002 vintage include, two transducers, one speed and temp, one depth connected to the st60 tridata, C80 mfd,Garmin gpsmap 942xs and a small white raymarine junction box. Tried to add a pic of a drawing I made of the wiring, but no luck, would not allow that type of file.

Can I connect from the st60 to the C80 and get a fish finder type display on the c80. If so how.
There are two sea talk ports on the tridata, one is used to feed the 12v power., the other is unused.
In the junction box are two cables in, one out to the C80 sea talk port.
The two in consist of one from a 12v source, and one from the GPS antenna on the arch....all appear to be wired correctly according to what I have seen and read.....y to y / r to r / b to b shielding there.
Can the trans that is there be connected to the Garmin somehow ?
Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-18, 01:47 PM
RE: [CA11] st60 tridata trans to C80 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cooltime,

Q1. Tried to add a pic of a drawing I made of the wiring, but no luck, would not allow that type of file.
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing thread creation and attachments.

Q2. Can I connect from the st60 to the C80 and get a fish finder type display on the c80. If so how.
A2. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how fishfinder features may be added to a C-Series Classic MFD.

Q3. There are two sea talk ports on the tridata, one is used to feed the 12v power., the other is unused.
A3. Is there a question here? If seeking to interface the ST60 Tridata Instrument to the system, then the SeaTalk cable should be unplugged from the MFD's SeaTalk socket and then connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction block. The Power cable would be disconnected from the ST60 Tridata Instrument. Finally, the ST60 Tridata Instrument and the C80 MFD would each be interfaced to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. SeaTalk cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths (D230, D284, D285, D286, and D287 respectively).

Q4. In the junction box are two cables in, one out to the C80 sea talk port.
The two in consist of one from a 12v source, and one from the GPS antenna on the arch....all appear to be wired correctly according to what I have seen and read.....y to y / r to r / b to b shielding there.
A4. What make/model of GPS is the MFD interfaced to?

Q5. Can the trans that is there be connected to the Garmin somehow ?
A5. Should the GPS sensor have failed, it may be disconnected from the system and replaced with a compatible SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 GPS data source. Should you still have the NMEA 5-Way Cable which was supplied with the C80 MFD and should the third party GPS/chartplotter be operational and able to acquire a GPS position FIX, then third party GPS/chartplotter's NMEA 0183 output leads (TxA and TxB) may be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input leads (IN+ (white) and IN- (green)) of the MFD's 5-Way NMEA Cable.
06-26-18, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-18 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1 I will try again.PDF this time...The original message only said it would not accept that type of file, it did not I.D. the file it was rejecting ( size or type )

Q2. Ok thanks, I see how to get that done

Q3. Wasn't really a question, more info for you as I believed some of the tridata backs are different.
A3. If done would the tridata get powered up from the sea talk connection at the junction block.

Q 4.....to answer I don't really know, my guess would be a raymarine something because this stuff was factory installed from Carver. The C80 works just fine and is in great shape.

Q5. A 5......No five way cable, just want to interface the transducer with the third party.....I was thinking it may be done thru the ST60 tridata, that is why I mentioned the extra unused port.
06-27-18, 09:03 AM
cooltime,

Q1 I will try again.PDF this time...The original message only said it would not accept that type of file, it did not I.D. the file it was rejecting ( size or type )
A1. Noted.

Q2. Ok thanks, I see how to get that done
A2. Not3d

Q3. Wasn't really a question, more info for you as I believed some of the tridata backs are different. If done would the tridata get powered up from the sea talk connection at the junction block?
A3. Yes

Q 4.....to answer I don't really know, my guess would be a raymarine something because this stuff was factory installed from Carver. The C80 works just fine and is in great shape.
A4. I had believed that you may have been inquiring about the GPS sensor because of a problem with the sensor. If so, then it would be necessary to know the make/model of sensor. Raymarine GPS sensors feature a label affixed to the underside of the sensor. Some GPS sensors also feature a vinyl medallion on the upper shell of the sensor.

Q5. A 5......No five way cable, just want to interface the transducer with the third party.....I was thinking it may be done thru the ST60 tridata, that is why I mentioned the extra unused port.
A5. The second port of the Tridata Instrument is designed to support SeaTalk communications protocol. This proprietary protocol is not supported by third party GPS/chartplotting products.