Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] System upgrade
06-25-18, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-18 03:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] System upgrade
I am in the process of upgrading a 10 year old system that used the previously referenced radome, the system had a E80 chart plotter, Daisy chained ST 60 wind, depth, and speed instruments a Raymarine auto pilot along with a AIS 500. it was networked together with an Actisense NMEA0183 Data Multiplexor and a Raymarine NMEA0183 Multiplexer. It also has what appears to be two externally mounted RayStar130 GPS Receivers my guess is that one may be part of the AIS system. The boat was recently imported from Canada and the AIS was broadcasting the wrong information (boat was .21 miles long and 200 feet wide) so it's in for reprogramming to my new MMSI number, vessel name, contact information and corrected boat dimensions. The current VHF is an icom unit that is not hooked up and so the DSC function is not operational.

My replacement system is using a Raytalk ng backbone, some 5 way connectors. An Axiom Pro 12-S plotter, several I-70 instruments, a Quantum 2 Doppler radome, an Evolution auto pilot I would like to retain the ST60 instruments, the AIS500 and icom VHF. I have added a Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit. So far everything is taking to each other except the AIS which is still networked through the existing Raytalk1 system, targets showed up on the E80 but do not on the Axiom Pro. The auto pilot is on backorder from Westmarine, once it arrives I'll add it and the AIS to the ng backbone.

Three questions;
1. after that can I ditch the existing Actisense NMEA0183 Data Multiplexor and a Raymarine NMEA0183 or should I connect the icom to the 0813 network and keep the Multiplexer's?
2. How do I wire the VHF so DSC is functional?
3. is the external GPS receiver still necessary?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-18, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-18 03:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] System upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rick,

General comments:

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed to permit each product featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (MFD, i70S, Evolution autopilot components, and AIS500) to be interfaced as an individual spur to the backbone. Following the software update specified below, the AIS500 may be interfaced as a spur to the backbone. The backbone will include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to permit the ST60 instruments to be interfaced to the system. Before doing so, the ST60 instruments must be disconnected from their previous source of power.

It is not clear if/why a NMEA 0183 multiplexer would need or be desired within the list of equipment to be interfaced onboard.

Q1. After that can I ditch the existing Actisense NMEA0183 Data Multiplexor and a Raymarine NMEA0183 or should I connect the icom to the 0813 network and keep the Multiplexer's?
A1. The MMSI and static data of the AIS500 may be cleared by a Certified Raymarine Installer or by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center. The installer should be instructed to also update the AIS500 with the latest available software update to permit it be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. How do I wire the VHF so DSC is functional?
A2. As the system features a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor, the MFD will not be the system's data source for GPS data. Accordingly, NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted via the MFD's NMEA 0183 leads will feature the $EC rather than $GP NMEA 0183 Talker ID. Unlike the overwhelming majority of marine communications products, ICOM communications products are designed to reject NMEA 0183 sentences featuring NMEA 0183 Talker IDs other than $GP. However, should a E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit be added to the backbone and the NMEA 0183 input leads of the ICOM VHF radio be interfaced to it, then the ICOM VHF may receive NMEA 0183 GPS sentences featuring the $GP Talker ID from the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit.

Q3. is the external GPS receiver still necessary?
A3. Typically, external GPS receivers are installed where they will have an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, permitting them to receive greater GPS signal strength and thereby be more dependable than other GPS receivers onboard the vessel. Accordingly, it is recommended that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor be interfaced a spur to the backbone and that the MFD's Data Sources feature be configured to manually select the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor as the system's data source for GPS, Date & Time, and Datum.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply