Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] Interfacing ST2000+ and i60
06-26-18, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-18 07:30 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Interfacing ST2000+ and i60
Hi there... Need some help on this one please. Trying to interface the ST2000+ with the i60. All I have are the cables that came with the i60 and the D179 Seatalk male round to bare ends that I ordered and ebay that I'm now questioning if it was the right purchase.

I believe the i60 comes with an Seatalk ng to Seatalk adapter. That one has a flat plug at the Seatalk end. How can I interface this Seatalk flat plug with the D179 male round, which I need to use as my tiller is 8 feet away? Can I cut off the male round and flat plug fittings and heat shrink the yellow wires together and then take the +12 V and 0 V (Red and Grey) from the adapter cable to my busbar? Or is there a better way to do this? I want to try and avoid ordering the converter kit as it's a little expensive for this one application.

Thanks! Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-18, 07:40 AM
RE: [DG] Interfacing ST2000+ and i60
Hi markyfff

Thankyou for your enquiry

the i60 can operate in SeaTalk mode or in STng mode, ( but not both at the same time).

We suggest use the i60 in SeaTalk mode and it can then connect direct to the SeaTalk connections on the ST2000+ tiller pilot socket.

Use the cable that has the White STng connector one end and the flat 3 pin plug the other end. Remove the flat plug and bare the wires back. Connect the red wire to the Red SeaTalk wire, conenct the yellow to the yellow SeaTalk wire and connect the Black to the bare /Shield SeaTalk wire.

When power is applied to the ST2000+ plug, the i60 should power up
Thanks
Derek
06-27-18, 08:01 AM
Thank you Derek for the quick reply as always on this forum.

Follow up question... If I use the ST2000 socket to power the i60, would the ST2000 have to be plugged in to power the i60 or would it still draw power from the socket without it plugged in? I run the socket to my aux electronics on my panel which I control with a switch. I would sometimes use the i60 without wanting to plug in the ST2000 and just want to make sure I don't need to close the circuit in this way, if that makes sense.
06-28-18, 04:47 AM
Hi markyfff,

Thanks for the feedback,

The i60 SeaTalk cable would connect to the back of the bulkhead socket and so would power up regardless of whether the ST2000+ was plugged in, just as long as the ST2000+ power is turned on
Thanks
Derek
08-28-18, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-18 12:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi guys... one more thing. My wind direction is off. I followed the manual instructions to linearize but apparently it came that way out of the box which is why it wouldn't work. Can I just offset my unit to match my windex?
08-29-18, 09:00 AM
HI markyfff

The linearisation process just ensures the output of the masthead unit gives a smooth and consistant direction. In order to align the pointer of the instrument up to the direction of the wind angle vane at the top of the mast, you need to enter an offset in the calibration - as described in the manual. This is a perfectly normal requirement.

Thanks
Derek
08-29-18, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-18 08:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok great. Maybe you misunderstood... I never linearized it myself as it woudn't go into that mode although I followed the instructions in the manual. I then found someone online saying that it actually comes linearized. The manual is a little misleading in that sense.
08-30-18, 09:50 AM
HI markyff

OK, so have you been able to align the direction vane now though the calibration process?
Thanks
Derek
12-05-18, 09:26 AM
Hi Mark,

I'm installing a similar system with a few more pieces.

STNG network -

i50, depth/speed, i60 wind and i60 close haul, i70, Axiom 9 Pro, St2000+ smart wireless controller.

then

On a NMEA network

AIT3000 digital yacht AIS - NMEA server,
Maretron USB100
Maretron FMP100

I need some guidance on how to connect everything up

All the Raymarine instruments i50, i60, i70 and MFD can connect via STng network. The analogue connections already made.

All the digital yacht and Maretron on a NMEA 2000 network then connect to STng with a Seatalk 1 to STng converter kit with a STng to NMEA200 cable.

ST2000+ to STng using the same Seatalk 1 to STng converter or connect to the NMEA bus then data should pass through the NMEA to STng converter...

Raymarine Smart controller with the Seatalk1 plug - Is this connected to the same yellow socket on the Seatalk 1 to STng converter (second converter required?) or how will I add this device

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
12-05-18, 10:56 AM
Hi garveypeter

Thank you for your enquiry.

The best advice is to treat NMEA2000, SeaTalk and STng as separate networks, use this as a starting point to wire everything up and follow the rules for each network.

For example create a STng backbone, with terminators each end and then power it up at the central point to ensure a balanced load. Connect each STng device to the backbone via a spur cable to a T piece or multiple spur connector in the backbone, power this up and check it all operates and shares data as expected.

Next add the NMEA2000 equipment into the STng backbone, connecting in the same way as STng spurs - except you will need the STng to Devicenet adapter cables - again check that all the devices operate correctly and data is shared correctly and displayed correctly. More advice is available here

Finally use the E22158 Converter to connect the ST2000+ and the base station for the smartcontroller to the STng backbone - make sure though that the power wire in the SeaTalk cable, ( red) is NOT connected to the converter.

These FAQs will give more detail on the connections that you make as well as why you should connect SeaTalk in this way

regards
Derek