Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST7002 does work with the E22158 converter
04-14-16, 06:26 AM
ST7002 does work with the E22158 converter
Hi, I have connected the ST7002 to the E22158 seatalk to seatalk ng converter (with the apporpriate cable).The conveter is connected to a backbone cable.
Then I connected the SPX30 autopilot to the same backbone via its seatalk ng connection with a spur cable.
It does no work as the ST7002 reads "NO PILOT".
Can you please help me?
In the meantime, in order to have the autopilot working, I have connected the ST7002 to SPX30 via its seatalk connection and the SPX30 to the c125 MDF via seatalk ng. Is this OK? What am I loosing in terms of functionality?
Thank you very much,

Joaquim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-16, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-16 01:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ST7002 does work with the E22158 converter
Joaquim,

X-Series Autopilots are not designed to function as data bridging devices. It is correspondingly recommended that a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be used to support bridging any data from SeaTalk devices to SeaTalkng. When used with an X-Series Autopilot, both the autopilot and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter must each be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. Additionally, the SeaTalkng backbone must be properly terminated and powered from a single power insertion point. From a best practices standpoint it generally not recommended that the autopilot power the SeaTalkng backbone and that the backbone be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit which has been protected with a 5A fuse.
04-14-16, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-16 02:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I either missunderstood the bellow instructions received from this forum or it was incomplete. I did exactly as it reads bellow.
quote:
"For the connection of the ST7002, that was connected via Seatalk interface the new c125 does not have Seatalk interface any longer it has the new Seatalk NG interface, what you would need is a E22158 Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter and connect the ST7002 to the yellow port on the converter and connect the converter to the Seatalk NG port on the c125."
unquote

Question that was not aswered: should I connect the ST7002 to the SX pilot via seatalk (I undertsand It will not go to the MFD via the seatalk ng network) but I will still have control on the auto pilot SX device,and then connect the SX piltot to the MDF via the seatalk ng net work?b it seems easier than going to the whole
updating process.
Thank you very much,
Joaquim
04-14-16, 02:49 PM
Joaquim,

The X-Series Course Computer should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and from the ST7002. The ST7002 will need to be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which will form a portion of the vessel's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. The X-Series Course computer and MFD will each then be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone. The software of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and X-Series Course computer will then need to be updated per the prior response. These software updates are designed to be easily performed via an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.

Failure to install the equipment in this manner may prevent some data items from begin bridged from SeaTalkng to SeaTalk (ex. wind, etc.). Installation of the specified SeaTalkng backbone may also permit easier replacement of equipment in the future as well as support any future expansion of the vessel's marine electronics system. while ensuring maximum data communications within the system.
04-25-16, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-16 01:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear Chuck,
I did the sofware updates of both SPX and the Seatalk to Seatalkng Coverter as instructed. The MFD c125 accepted both accordingly.The ST7002 works fine now.
Thank you very much,
Joaquim
04-26-16, 01:22 PM
You're welcome.