Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Miracast with the Axiom Pro
09-11-18, 10:05 PM
RE: [TG11] Miracast with the Axiom Pro
Hello George,

I've been looking at this some more, and am more convinced now that Wifi bandwidth is the likely cause of what you're seeing, but that getting a representative measure of Wifi signal level isn't quite trivial.

I have measured my signal level using the graph function of the Wifi Analyzer app, looking at the signal level from the MFD's access point on the phone as a proxy for Miracast signal level, and looking at the average signal level over a period of several minutes, and with the Settings > Scan Interval at L0. I found that:
  • Momentary losses of signal level can be frequent depending on receiver location
  • very small changes in the location of the receiver (centimetres or less) can result in big changes in signal level (5...10dBm, or up to a 10-fold change in signal power)
  • The MS-WDA's Wifi antenna appears to be in the USB-connected half of of the interface, not the HDMI end, so that's the bit that needs to have a good signal level
  • It seems as if one of the TVs I was using for testing might be noisy in the 2.4GHz band at very close range, which led to degraded signal level and performance when connected to that TV
  • It looks like the Axiom and Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor need a constant signal level of around -60dBm or better in order to get a good picture of a 'busy', hard-to-compress screen image. Lower signal levels give pixellated images, pauses for buffering and the like.

I'd suggest checking the signal level as I have and seeing what you get, and seeing whether you can improve that signal level by moving the Wifi/USB end of the MS-WDA into a higher-signal location using a USB extension cable, remembering that even a few centimetres of movement can give a significant change in signal level. Signal levels aren't predictable either, I saw higher signal with my phone on top of the TV behind a partition wall than in clear air with direct line-of-sight to the MFD.

Finally - it does seem that there are some inconsistencies about the MS-WDA and PIN access on the MFD, where the WDA and MFD are requiring a PIN even though PIN is turned off in the WDA's setup, and I wonder if some of the re-connection issues are a stale PIN being retained by the MFD. I'll keep on looking into this. Perhaps the MS adaptor isn't the best one for Axiom.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Miracast with the Axiom Pro - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-11-18 10:05 PM