Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] GPM400 to Axiom Pro upgrade/retrofit
07-17-18, 05:00 PM
RE: [CA11] GPM400 to Axiom Pro upgrade/retrofit
Chuck - true. The issue is that it would be helpful to see the actual xl unit to determine if their are screw holes to adequately mount a fabricated plate upon similar to the ball unit on the pro unit. Without seeing it - it’s difficult to “take that jump”. Granted I could order it and take it to a fabricator to determine feasibility and then return if it doesn’t work - but I try not to return things under that scenario as it’s a hassle that shouldn’t be necessary.

Just thinking through my options right now. Because I could also have a carpenter fabricate a nice cherry helm on top of my current helm table.

From a performance - cpu/speed/memory - is their any difference between the pro and XL ? They both claim quad core etc etc I know the XL supposedly will let you control your pc. But that seems to be a feature that could apply to both unless something was functionally different.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-18, 09:11 AM
Ed,

With respect to operation, Raymarine has not specified the quantity of memory installed within its MFDs. I would expect that processing speed of the Axiom XL MFDs would equal or exceed the Axiom Pro MFDs. Only Axiom XL MFDs permit users view and control a remote personal computer using a computer’s HDMI output and USB touch screen control.
07-18-18, 02:37 PM
I would imagine that would have to be the case.. It woudlnt make sense to make it slower for sure.. that being said - a lot of the perception for speed is in the redraw of the maps as you scale in/out or move. . And the Axiom/Pro is first that this is no longer an annoying feature of the unit (the es/GS series came closer for sure, but the axiom is much better on many levels).

I doubt the remote control on a remote PC takes much processing to handle at all. Its not even doing RDP/VNC in any sort of capacity. It appears to just be a keyboard input mapping into USB via the touch screen with a HDMI passthrough for video. And i dont believe the larger screens on the new XL line change resolution - so the output requirements for CPU are the same regardless of screen size. I think this feature is present more in that the new XL actually has an HDMI input vs the actual processor capacity to have it vs the Axiom Pro that doesnt. . . Anyhow, enough debate.

Q1 - since the the GPM400 and the Axiom Pro./XL cant physically be on the same network - can you bring up a Axiom Pro without any real connections to it. It would just have its own GPS/plotter map.. this is just to bring it up side by side with existing and then work on gradually moving things over.

Q2 - if thats possible. I think my plan would be to get a Axiom Pro/XL up and running standalone and connected to the new HS5 standalone switch. Then I can move the HS Radar over to the new Axiom network as thats just an plug/cable conversion. , Then work on replacing the DSM300 with the CP370 and moved over to new HS5 switch. Followed by the instruments/autopilot on SeatalkNG. Is there anything I'm missing taking this approach ?
07-18-18, 03:44 PM
Ed,

Q1 - since the the GPM400 and the Axiom Pro./XL cant physically be on the same network - can you bring up a Axiom Pro without any real connections to it. It would just have its own GPS/plotter map.. this is just to bring it up side by side with existing and then work on gradually moving things over.
A1. It would indeed be possible install an Axiom Pro MFD alone as long as it's installation location afforded it to receive sufficient GPS signal strength to acquired and maintain an accurate GPS position FIX. Naturally, you're going to need a LightHouse, Navionics, or C-Map chart card for the Axiom Pro MFD. Similarly, the Axiom XL may be installed as a stand-alone product, but it would require an external GPS receiver, external chart card reader, and a LightHouse, Navionics, or C-Map chart card for the MFD.

Q2 - if thats possible. I think my plan would be to get a Axiom Pro/XL up and running standalone and connected to the new HS5 standalone switch. Then I can move the HS Radar over to the new Axiom network as thats just an plug/cable conversion. , Then work on replacing the DSM300 with the CP370 and moved over to new HS5 switch. Followed by the instruments/autopilot on SeatalkNG. Is there anything I'm missing taking this approach ?
A2. It sounds as though you're on the right track to incrementally and correctly creating the new system.
07-18-18, 03:56 PM
I have to get a new chart package anyhow. . mine is a couple years out of date and its CF. The new ones are all SD based.. you can technically transfer/upgrade for about half price but spending an extra $180 to get another full package affords me a gradual and redundant path. ..

q1 Your statement "Similarly, the Axiom XL may be installed as a stand-alone product, but it would require an external GPS receiver, external chart card reader, and a LightHouse, Navionics, or C-Map chart card for the MFD" - confuses me. Does the XL not have a SD card reader that you slot the platinum navionics chart into ?

q2 - so the axiom pro has a built in GPS receiver. the XL does NOT have one ? and I would presume need the 150 gps antenna ?
07-18-18, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 07:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ed,

q1 Your statement "Similarly, the Axiom XL may be installed as a stand-alone product, but it would require an external GPS receiver, external chart card reader, and a LightHouse, Navionics, or C-Map chart card for the MFD" - confuses me. Does the XL not have a SD card reader that you slot the platinum navionics chart into ?
A1. The Axiom XL MFDs do not have a built in card reader. Again, these MFDs were primarily designed for glass bridge type installations, where an owner/captain/crew would rarely, if ever, need to or want to access the back side of the MFD. The Axiom MFDs are designed to be part of modular system which would include a remote card reader. As you were thinking of bracket mounting an Axiom XL MFD, this would then necessitate finding a location for the remote card reader. That said, within an Ethernet network of Axiom, Axiom Pro, and/or Axiom XL MFDs, the MFDs are designed to share all data and resources ... including cartography. Accordingly, the chart chard may be present within the reader of any one of the MFDs or with a remote card which in turn has been connected to one of the other MFDs.

q2 - so the axiom pro has a built in GPS receiver. the XL does NOT have one ? and I would presume need the 150 gps antenna ?
A2. The Axiom XL MFDs may be interfaced to a NMEA 2000 GPS data source (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, Raystar 130 GPS Sensor (legacy), etc.) or a NMEA 0183 GPS data source. The Axiom XL MFDs additionally feature an internal GPS receiver, but may require that the MFD be interfaced to a GA150 GPS antenna (provides GPS signal to the Axiom XL's internal GPS receiver). Naturally, a SeaTalk GPS data source may be bridged to NMEA 2000 for use the Axiom XL MFD as well.
07-18-18, 06:33 PM
yes. I scanned over the GS195 documentation and also found that the Axiom XL19 uses similar rear mounting bars (to wedge against the back of the surface to keep it from vibrating). I think I can get a metal fabricator to fabricate a bar/ball mount to mount two units side by side - before I make a wood helm enclosure lol).

Yes, completely forgot about the remote card reader. I'm used to the GPM which is tucked away and somewhat accessible. The thinking has to change with the standalone units. So yes, a remote card reader feeding one of the Axiom's would be the best option. Then the flybridge Axion Pro's would also share the same cartography data. GPS Source, I currently have the Ray130 I think. Getting a 150 to replace the 130 which is mounted in the flybridge enclosure would be easy to do. possibly more stable against GPS interference as well.

But glad I saw the rear mounting bars. I can either remanufacture the bars with their screw or get someone to fabricate something to mount with those bars. Time to reformulate my thoughts.

One last question - the 15" screens are actually larger than the 16" ones now (widescreen vs standard). So I might step up to the 19 Axiom XL. I see they are suposedly available, but everyone in channel is saying it isnt actually showing up in inventory. Any idea on their projected availability ?

Thanks a bunch for your help. Hopefully this thread can be a good resource to others doing something similar.
07-19-18, 08:00 AM
Ed,

Q. So I might step up to the 19 Axiom XL. I see they are suposedly available, but everyone in channel is saying it isnt actually showing up in inventory. Any idea on their projected availability?
A. Unfortunately, I don't have access to this data. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may obtain the latest information on product availability.